Husker 55g Display Refugium/Seagrass tank

When I did a all foam back wall the same way on my 90 gallon aquarium I used 2 x 2 pieces of egg crate and siliconed them to the back glass first. After they cured I sprayed on the foam and it never went anywhere! Just straight onto bare glass unfortunately is iffy, the buoyancy of the foam is intense. Sorry to be a buzzkill.

Thanks for the tips, folks. I will look into it and see what I can do to reenforce the structure to prevent it from floating away.

As I've said, your design is cool. However, if you were to say you were going to scrap it and start all over, I would have a few suggestions. One of the best reasons to use foam in the first place is to move the rock work up onto the back wall, freeing up valuable real estate on the tank bottom, for say, seagrasses. Your design doesn't take advantage of that. In fact it could be easily done with live rock, which wouldn't have buoyancy issues, and would also be much more beneficial to your system than foam. Your design covers two third of the bottom. One good way to combat buoyancy is to tightly fit your wall between the bottom and the top frame of the tank. Other tips: push out air while it cures, voids like plastic bottle caves fill with water, rather than air, less bulky-less floaty, eggcrate makes a great, structural framework to lock the foam into. Hope this helps!

The problem with doing too much on the back wall is that this is a 55 gallon and it is so narrow front to back. Part of the goal with the foam was to create a structure that I liked that fit the 55gallon footprint. I also kind of wanted to create deep sand areas without having to fill the entire bottom up with sand- the plan was to have most of the foam structure on the left covered with sand. This would create pockets that are deep enough for turtle grass with other areas only deep enough for the other genera, while conserving sand. I liked your idea of having that deeper sand bed area that you retained with rocks. The 55 gallon is only 12" wide, so these things can eat a little tricky. It needs to be 12" wide to fit into the space allotted in combo with the other tank.

Thanks for all the suggestions. I probably have a few weeks before this will be getting wet, so Ibhave time to think things over.

Those are all good points I hadn't considered. Best of luck with it. I can't wait to see how it turns out!

Great to hear!

I think we are going to move everything into the basement tomorrow. I should have some pictures up if everything goes well.

Everything is moved in. It was a bit tricky getting the whole system plumbed together, but I got it.

My display fuge has a few inches of fine sand and some corser sand will be added today.

My question is: should I go ahead and get some seagrasses and mud to add, or would it be better to let the tank mature a bit? I do worry about adding muddy substrate to an established system. I have been trying to read as much as possible, but the information and anecdotal experiences on seagrasses are much more limited than stony corals.

I'm mostly worried about all the gunk in the mud that might impact the SPS tank that is plumbed into this system. It may be paranoid, non-evidence based worries.

So, I was vasilating over whether or not I liked the foam structure. I also heard the concerns from everyone here, that was making me want to rethink things. Well, the foam made the decision for me. After the tank was up for 3 days, the entire thing detached. It made an incredible noise and I thought I blew out the PVC or my stand cracked. I am now just going to have minimal amounts of live rock to leave room for the algae and grasses. I think it will look better.

I will post pictures as soon as it clears up. The foam earthquake really shook up the tank.

It's a big commitment adding mud. It's scary!

Whenever I add it, I always have fine sand, ready to go as well. Right after I add the mud, I add the sand on top of it IMMEDIATELY. This will help avoid getting the mud everywhere. I use a plastic cola bottle with the bottom cut out, invert and fill with sand, like a funnel. I put my finger over the opening and direct the sand right where I want it.

No need to wait on plants. The cycle/biological filtration competes with plants. Plus you already have an established tank attached, right?

Sorry to hear about your foam scape. Buoyancy is a very powerful thing. I like your idea of minimal live rock and more room for plants.

I look forward to seeing how it turns out!

The system is reasonably established, but not the sand. I brought over all the live rock plus more.

The Photobucket episode made it a pain to post pictures, so I haven't yet. I ordered a few macro algae and a couple seagrass sprigs (shoal and turtle) to give everything a shot. I want to see if I can get by with my current amount of substrate (~6" on the thick end). If not,I will add more later.

Six inches should be close to enough for the turtle grass. My shoal grass only grows an inch or two deep, so you may be good! Getting that sand alive will help. You can buy the critters themselves, or live substrates filled with the critters. I recommend GCE's live sand and Florida Pets live mud.

I added a bunch of my previous sand that is pretty mucky, but I figure the new macros will soak up any of the goo they contained that could destroy my Acros. I added some macros today and some turtle and shoal grass. It was tricky to dig the substrate out deep enough for the turtle grass so as to not damage the roots, but I think I managed.

I also added a coral beauty angel. A fish I really like, but one I didn't want in my maincoral tank.

Here is a shot of the room showing both tanks (before adding the macro/seagrass). The display refugium on the right is the focus of this thread.

fRvLx3p.jpg

Thanks folks. To me, this is the perfect setup. I get to watch my SPS grow into interesting structures and colors on the left, and I get my natural looking algae/seagrass lagoon on the right.

Back