Husker 55g Display Refugium/Seagrass tank

How's the balancing act? Both tanks 'helping' each other? I'd love to hear more of your experience with this dual ecosystem setup.

Everything is going reasonably well. I don't have a ton of nutrient export algae in the display refugium/lagoon. As such, there has been a bit of a brown hair algae outbreak in the main tank. I think partly from over feeding, partly from the tank still being newish. Also, the main tank got some red bugs brought in on one of the frags. They are being a bit of a pain. I'm trying to not treat anything with chemicals, and instead have an H. chrysus yellow wrasse as a control measure. So far, it is working okay but not great.

The SPS frags are growing well and are coloring up quite nicely (aside from the 3 or 4 that have bugs on them and are kind of pale). Alkalinity has been between 8.0 and 8.3 dKH for a month, which is certainly helpful. I haven't tested nitrate or phosphate for quite a while and did my first water change on the tank last night to try to knock down some of the algae/cyano.

I think the system would benefit from some faster growing algae and perhaps a little more water flow to reduce cyano and to prevent algae in the main tank.

It definitely is looking pretty "dirty" in there, which I like. I'll try to take some pictures soon.

Has anyone ever avoided the algae phase? Not to my knowledge. I think it's a natural part of succession and critical for long term system stability. I was just rereading my three month cyano struggle in my own thread. It was hell! I tried to avoid chemicals too, until I finally gave in-to chemiclean, combined with four day blackouts, manual removal and water changes.

That's cool you're using a wrasse to get those bugs. In my experience, the best way for that to work is for them to have little else to eat. Maybe a drastic reduction in feeding would work, like once a week.

I really admire what you're doing. I think a lot of folks will benefit from your experience.

A couple of photo updates. The Halimedia is growing well and the Botryocladia is seeming to color back up. It is perhaps getting used to the high lighting, because I have not reduced it at all.

The seagrasses are starting to grow and sprout new shoots. The turtle grass is faring much better than the shoal at the moment. I am thinking this is because of cyano and micro algae build up on the leaves. I have added more water flow to try and combat this.

A couple photos:
bq2gThp.jpg

JJ3fp1K.jpg

wdBoA4c.jpg

FS9URtU.jpg

Great update! Congrats on your success with turtle grass and halimeda especially! Also, great pics! Did you use a macro lens for those last two? Stunning!

Thanks. Not much success yet, but at least it is alive..ha.

I just realize that I think my blue Hypnea appears to have completely dissolved. I think the cyano smothering may have had something to do with that. It is difficult to clean off the cyano in this tank. If I reach a hand in, the female cinnamon clown draws blood. She is a cold blooded killer.

Yes, the last two are with the Canon 100 2.8 macro (non L version). I shoot a lot of wildlife macros, as well. Great lens for the money.

Yikes! Clowns are vicious. I'd remove it. The cyano phase is tough. And tough to avoid!

Good to know. I'd love to get a macro lens. Your great pics make want one more!

Here is a bit of an update. I don't mind the feisty clowns, they keep me from sticking my hand in the tank too much..ha. I have AEFW unleashing havoc on the SPS tank, but everything in the refugium section is doing pretty well. I think the SPS catastrophe has peaked, and a rebound will happen in due time.

Macroalgae is growing well. I reduced the daylight photoperiod and the Botryocladia seems to enjoy that. It has also reduced some of the cyano in the display refugium. I also added a coco worm about a week ago, and it seems to be doing fine.

I'm still on the lookout for some interesting inverts to add... perhaps some interesting crabs or shrimp.

lM9fWxI.jpg

Looks great! Macros are filling in. Nice scape too! Is the dominate green macro halimeda?

Thanks. Yes, it is Halimeda opuntia. It seems to have grown really quickly in my system for whatever reason. Perhaps it is the relatively stable calcium and alkalinity due to the connection to my SPS tank. I didn't notice until looking at the previous photos, but it does look like my seagrasses have grown significantly over the past few months. I only wish I had a taller tank for them.

So cool! I agree, with your reef connected, you halimeda is benefiting! Congrats on the seagrass growth!

It looks like your very challenging concept is working. Props!

Looks good! I'm considering doing something similar but I'm not sure on how to do the plumbing. I currently have a 75g mixed reef with no sump or refugium. I plan on adding a 40g breeder display refugium next to the 75g and a 55g sump below the 75g. I don't know if I should have the water flow from the 75g to the 40g and drain from the 40g to the 55g sump to then be pumped up to the 75g, or have the 75g drain to the 55g sump to be pumped up to the 40g then flow back to the 75g. I'll likely have an in sump skimmer when this is all set up. Do you have any advice?

I have my 150 gallon display tank and 55 gallon refugium both drain into a common 75 gallon sump. The 150 has a full Bean Animal drain, and the 55 has a drain standpipe + emergency drain.I T'd the return pump to go to the display and the refugium. This seems to be the safest way to prevent flooding of the sump during power outage or either tank during plugged drain.

Back