Husker 55g Display Refugium/Seagrass tank

I had the lights on the display refugium running reverse with the main display, for pH purposes. However, I didn't like always have one tank dark (or bright, for that matter). I like looking in on the tank with only the moon lights, and the blast of light from the adjacent tank prevented that.

At first, I thought the reverse cycle helped the pH stay up (based on Apex readings). However, I reversed the cycle two days before we left it n vacation for a week. When we returned, the pH dropped again despite the reverse pH cycle. It seems our biggest problem is our breathing, and I won't worry about solving the "problem" unless it turns out to be one. I'm going to slowly switch back to synchronized, as to not freak out the coral beauty that lives in there.

I can see how that could be annoying, the way you have them set up together. Having them on the same light schedule should be fine. The pH 'smoothing' is great but not absolutely necessary.

How's it coming along? I'd love to hear more about the challenges you have balancing the needs of both systems, and how you deal with them.

The turtle grass has dropped a few of the blades, but from my reading that seems normal after planting. I tried to be delicate with the roots, but it was a challenge. Each rhizome shoot has about 3 blades remaining now, and they look green and healthy. I moved my powerhead (an MP60) to the opposing end, because I kept finding grass shoots in the impeller. I don't know if they were falling off naturally or were being pulled out by the pump.

There is a coral beauty angel in there who seems to enjoy picking on the epiphytic algae, which might become a benefit.

The shoal grass seems to be doing well, and may have actually sprouted some new shoots. It is hard to say, as optimism has a funny way of influencing one's vision.

The macro algae all looks relatively healthy. I think I may have too much light for the Botryocladia in an attempt to keep the seagrasses happy and have the tank function as a waste removal for the SPS by blasting it with light. However, in response, the Botryocladia has turned to a beautiful dichromatic, with the grapes being a light pink and the branches retaining the dark red. I must say I prefer the look over what I typically see in macro algae tanks. I keep seeing the little grape clusters breaking off and making their way to the main display tank, but my Kole tang seems to think they are special treats.

Here are a couple update pictures. A local was selling these stunning, multicolored RBTA. I have considered having this display refugium also be a tank to house species I love but don't want in my SPS tank. Thus, anemones seem to fit perfectly into this scenario. I'm going to make sure the anemones acclimate okay into the new tank, and then I will transfer my clown over.

Here are a couple of photos before they go into their requisite shrink/hide fiasco that has occurred with every BTA I have had.
AEEF1t6.jpg

oUuZatP.jpg

Here is the Botryocladia in its new, peculiar coloration.
O88RczC.jpg

Heads up, mine pretty much fell apart after going through the exact same color shift yours did, all the little balls just "popped" off, so keep your eyes on it.

Everything is going well. The grasses aren't growing much, still, but they aren't dying. I guess we will call that a win. The anemones are healthy and I have a tank full of SPS that is growing and coloring up. It is the grass that is the most boarderline. My Halimedia opportunia is starting to grow quite a bit, as well as some of the other macros.

There is some really cool algae that has come out of nowhere in this tank. Tons of little critters crawling around. I am definitely enjoying the tank.

That's great! You're balancing two, connected systems! In my experience, grasses take a while to get going. Your macros are growing. Sounds good! What do you think the cool algae that's popping up is?

It is Cymoplolia barbara, so not that uncommon, but it is pretty cool.

I also have more life in this tank in a shorter amount of time than any past tank. There are many arthropod species, flatworms, many large polychaete fan worms, and even tiny snails crawling around. Part of it is the mature live rock, but I think most is from the deeper sand and all the algae habitat.

Last edited:
Here's a bit of a photo update.

Hypnea
x1y3FbP.jpg

Cymopolia barbata hitchhiker. This photo is a week or so old, it is now about double the size.
7lpLTTO.jpg

Cinnamon clown and anemone
Z3eNj5L.jpg

Red Grapes

Red Grapes

Here are a couple update pictures. A local was selling these stunning, multicolored RBTA. I have considered having this display refugium also be a tank to house species I love but don't want in my SPS tank. Thus, anemones seem to fit perfectly into this scenario. I'm going to make sure the anemones acclimate okay into the new tank, and then I will transfer my clown over.

Here are a couple of photos before they go into their requisite shrink/hide fiasco that has occurred with every BTA I have had.
AEEF1t6.jpg

oUuZatP.jpg

Here is the Botryocladia in its new, peculiar coloration.
O88RczC.jpg

I started reading your thread from the beginning and really like your display refugium. It would be what I would consider to be a macro lagoon, very nice tying it back in to your other display tank. With respect to the Botryocladia botryoides, it shows that color as light intensity goes up. I have not found it to do well in intense light. According to Russ Kronwetter at GCE, he collects this macro in 60' - 120' of water in the Gulf of Mexico. Not very bright at that depth. When 40W florescent tubes were what we used in marine aquarium lighting, two 40W tubes over a 55G tank grew a Red Grape bush that was 16" tall and took up 30% of the tank. The color was a deep burgendy color: flotation balls and stems.

Good fortune on your display refugium. I will continue reading this thread.

Thanks for following along. You are right, it doesn't appear to like the high light much. However, my grass, other algae, and anemones do, so I leave it high. The botryocladia seems to be managing okay despite the high light.

How's the balancing act? Both tanks 'helping' each other? I'd love to hear more of your experience with this dual ecosystem setup.

Back