Hydroids, how to get rid of them

djultra

Premium Member
I'm pretty sure that is what these are. Does anyone know a chemical or natural way to rid my tank of these before they take over.

64638mini-hydroids.jpg

The little brown pom pom looking things in the zoos

After looking in a reef creature book they kind of look like

Seaweed Bryozoan - Caulibugula dendrograpta
Class: Bryozoans
Gymnolaemata
Order: Cheilostomata

Are you able to remove the rock and scrub it ? I made the mistake of letting the Hydriods take a foot hold in my tank and haven't been able to get rid of them.

I'm just going to take out the Live Rock from the tank and Dry it. It's drastic , but there is nothing that I've found that controls the darn things.

As in my oringinal post, not the star polyps the little brown pom pom looking things groing from the zoos and star polyps.

Ah... They are very tough to get rid of, try cooking, swishing and scrubbing the rock for a few months?

Have any clearer pictures? Still real tough to get a good look at them.

i have had them for quite a while. i fricking hate them!!! wish i could get rid of them. the only good thing is that they do NOT affect my SPS. my sps actually keep pushing them back as they base out. now if they would do that to my mushrooms that would be great

Lunchbucket

Very tough to get rid of ...and boy do they spread all over the place....

I'm going to cook my rock... in a pot over the fire to kill all the dam things

Are they fairly soft to the touch or do they have a bristle feel to them. I have something similiar in my tank and they retract when I touch or scrub them and get a bristle feel to them when retracted. Went away for awhile but they are trying to come back now. Thought maybe they were hydroids also.

What i did when i saw them was boil ro/di water then i got my syringe and drew up the boiling water into it then hit the disk, buy buy.

I added some pepermint shrimp to get rid of aptasia.
after the they took care of that, they started on those things

i had a pep and he never touched them

i do notice today when cleaning in the tank that they peal off pretty easily

Lunchbucket

The ones i have will rip off, but not easily. The problems is were ever one of their "strands" land in the tank, it takes hold and starts growing. I had some pepermints in the tank and they never seemed to touch the darn things.

They're called myrionema amboinensis. I've had them for years and I can't get rid of them. You can reduce their numbers through diligent scrubbing and peeling, and they don't like kalk paste very much. One thing I learned is don't let them colonize high-flow areas, because they spread just like dandelions. I hates 'em. If I had them on just one star polyp rock, I would throw it out and chalk it up to experience.

Breaking news: One poster to this German Reef Page Stated that a Naso tang ate his myrionema. Live and learn!

<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=6264585#post6264585 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by hopper
Are they fairly soft to the touch or do they have a bristle feel to them. I have something similiar in my tank and they retract when I touch or scrub them and get a bristle feel to them when retracted. Went away for awhile but they are trying to come back now. Thought maybe they were hydroids also.

If they're hydroids, you definitely don't want to touch them. They'll sting the crap out of you. I hate hydroids, and where ever they grow in my reefs, nothing else will grow around them. I have this big patch of star polyps with a big colony of hydroids right in the middle. Once in a while, mine reproduce and shoot little jellyfish out of the tubes. They look just like miniature cannonball jellies. Hydroids are in the jellyfish family by the way.

Remove all the rock that you have those on in the tank and friggin burn em!! :uzi:

I cannot defeat them! I have waged the war on all fronts. Predators, peppermints, kalk (yea right!), chemicals, coral warfare, and yes torches! :D

They are invincible! I manually remove them every 60 - 75 days to keep them in check. Quite a chore with 200 lbs of live rock. Each rock is removed and scrubbed down with a wire brush. Every time they come back like I never touched them. I am hoping someday that I can exhaust their will to live.

My last attempt is to chisel the infected areas of rock away. If that does't work, I'm buying all new rock this year.

Don't underestimate this foe! Take immediate action!

Just how common is this pest? I see maybe a couple dozen people at most on RC that seem to be affected.

Back