Hydroids, how to get rid of them?

bucfan

I noticed a few hydroids in different parts of my tank. It's by no means a major infestation but I can see a few of these. How do I get rid of them? And can they sting coral?

What kind of hydroids? Digitate, colonial, the little snowflake guys on the glass...?
I have no idea. Just see small filaments with bulb at end. Look like 2-3 clusters in each site. They are in 3-4 places on my tank mostly within a zoa colony.

Some people have found that their hydroids disappeared after adding peppermint shrimps to the tank.

Can you post a pic? Here's a link that may help in identification. http://www.lionfishlair.com/hitchhiker/hitchhiker.shtml

42934bac99206269508aceeec1e1255a.jpg

I've had multiple peps in every reef, sps or lps or softie: I've had them steal a couple of polyps off a birdsnest, but they didn't like them and didn't repeat. That's the only damage they ever did, and I don't think even the birdsnest noticed.

Fearing peperments? Wow, I would never fear them. Feed good and they will do wonders to keep stuff clean that you don't want in your tank. Easy to kill too in case they go rouge for some odd reason. I guess they go for certain corals more than others.

Looks like digitate bydroids. Don't ever feed and they shouldn't spread to much. If they are reachable lull the rock out and scrape off each on.

There IS a peppermint lookalike that occasionally gets mislabeled, and they are not polite, but if you know they have a very sharply bent carapace, they're real easy to spot: camel shrimp. Google them and google pep shrimp and always know the difference.

Back