I don't care what you call it

reefrubble

Premium Member
I would just like to get SHARK going . I don't care if SHARK stands for (South Hudson Area Reef Keepers , Safety Harbor Area Reef Keepers , or what ever ) . I don't care about being part of the board of directors , I would just like to be a member . Would someone please give SHARK a chance ?

I would just like to get SHARK going . I don't care if SHARK stands for (South Hudson Area Reef Keepers , Safety Harbor Area Reef Keepers , or what ever ) . I don't care about being part of the board of directors , I would just like to be a member . Would someone please give SHARK a chance ?

I am with you Ted, lets give it another go.

Well before a meeting is done you need a few thing

one being more members than a few

and the second thing would be a nice reason to meet if you want to
get people to come you need to have a good reason

as we talked about before we need to get a forum up and
really give people a need to join

yes i would like a more local reef clubs as i hate to drive to largo or tampa
every time somebody post something

i know there are a lot of reefers around here

Ted, you definately get an A for effort. Good luck.
Regards,
Doug

I would 1st take some kind of name and put it under a non-profit title

then try to gather sponsors and cash flow like i said you cant have members
with nothing to do we need to figure out a way to bring people in

i know there are restaurants that give a 20% cash back to non-profits groups
that might be a nice place to start just have a lunch meeting and the use the money we raise to get a real meeting with a raffle or a frag action something like that

I would 1st take some kind of name and put it under a non-profit title

then try to gather sponsors and cash flow like i said you cant have members
with nothing to do we need to figure out a way to bring people in

i know there are restaurants that give a 20% cash back to non-profits groups
that might be a nice place to start just have a lunch meeting and the use the money we raise to get a real meeting with a raffle or a frag action something like that

I know I don't go to the meetings for Raffles , or prizes . Frag Auctions are nice , but that is not why I go to reef club meetings . I also don't think you need sponsors , or at least a lot of them . Small member ship fees can keep a web site up and running . SHARK had a web site , when the club started , but I think Blue04 (Matt) took it down , because no one showed any interest . If a club is just about being the biggest , and having a lot of money , I don't need to be a part of it . I don't care about sponsoring a MACNA , or some big Reef conference . I like meeting other people in the area that have the same interest in the hobby , as I do . I think it,s great to share ideas , and knowledge , and to support , and help each other . I think it's nice to sponsor things like a coastal clean up , and make people aware how important it is to preserve our environment . I think we should promote saving our Reefs , and Oceans by supporting antipollution laws . I think a reef club should promote buying Aquaculture live stock , when available . Does anyone else feel this way , or am I alone in this thinking ?

I know I don't go to the meetings for Raffles , or prizes . Frag Auctions are nice , but that is not why I go to reef club meetings . I also don't think you need sponsors , or at least a lot of them . Small member ship fees can keep a web site up and running . SHARK had a web site , when the club started , but I think Blue04 (Matt) took it down , because no one showed any interest . If a club is just about being the biggest , and having a lot of money , I don't need to be a part of it . I don't care about sponsoring a MACNA , or some big Reef conference . I like meeting other people in the area that have the same interest in the hobby , as I do . I think it,s great to share ideas , and knowledge , and to support , and help each other . I think it's nice to sponsor things like a coastal clean up , and make people aware how important it is to preserve our environment . I think we should promote saving our Reefs , and Oceans by supporting antipollution laws . I think a reef club should promote buying Aquaculture live stock , when available . Does anyone else feel this way , or am I alone in this thinking ?

Well in my own opinion your not going to get many people to show up
if the topic is propagation of corals unless you have a nice speaker

I mean i show up hey lets grow some corals in a tank high 5 ok see you later

You want a reef club that is all hard facts and well from being apart of a different reef club before it wont work

If we didn't give something away every meeting or have a good topic with build a longs or speakers

As far as having a lot of money no you don't need it just remember every
dollar means you can do more stuff

Say we have a meeting about building sumps with baffles and one without
ok we build two that cost money so everybody that comes has hands on action people that dont know learn something new tank drilling baffle setting
pumps sizes then at the end of the day you sell them off or action them off
or raffle them off at you next meeting to make your money back

most of my ideas come from a club i belonged to up in PA and it worked great

sorry for the lack of punctuation :wildone:

Ted, I am interested, but a lot will be determined by what ends up happening with the TBRC. If that club changes directions, then I will probably be an active part of that and won't have a lot of time for SHARK. If things stay the status quo with the TBRC, then I will be looking for another club.
I think some of the ideas presented above are aimed too high when you have a club the size of the TBRC existing right down the road. The only problem is that small get-togethers to talk about reef stuff are only going to generate so much interest. You run the risk of having the same group of 4-6 people showing up until everyone loses interest.
I'm not sure what the answer is, but I will possibly have a better idea of my own options after the TBRC meeting on Saturday.

I would definitely like more things to do than go to meetings, although I do like checking out everyones tanks. Even activities at meetings are cool, not just a look and listen kind of deal. I also think you need an avenue to gather more members beyond this forum. What happened with the idea about the flyers at the lfs?

Ted everything that you mentioned you dont want in a club is what a club should be about. Hopefully TBRC can get back to that one day and hopefully sooner than later. I know at the meeting this week for TBRC things will begin to change. I hope to see A LOT of club members there so they can learn some things that they should know about.

Ted everything that you mentioned you dont want in a club is what a club should be about. Hopefully TBRC can get back to that one day and hopefully sooner than later. I know at the meeting this week for TBRC things will begin to change. I hope to see A LOT of club members there so they can learn some things that they should know about.

May be I didn't say that right . I don't mean I don't like a lot of those things in a club , I mean I don't need a lot of that stuff to get me to go to a meeting . I don't go to the meetings just to win things in a raffle , or to get free stuff . I feel I come home with a big prize ,when I learn something new that will make it easier , and more fun to keep my system healthy , and happy . I think a big thing is (Education ) learning new ways to do things . I have gained a lot of knowledge , from just talking to other members in the club .

I would definitely like more things to do than go to meetings, although I do like checking out everyones tanks. Even activities at meetings are cool, not just a look and listen kind of deal. I also think you need an avenue to gather more members beyond this forum. What happened with the idea about the flyers at the lfs?

Chris , where would you put the flyer's ? ( What LFS ? )

Chris , where would you put the flyer's ? ( What LFS ? )

Well in the thought of staying up this way. Fosters exotic pets, get tanked, aquatic visions, bobs feathered friends, ocean lifers would be about as far south as I would think u would want to go. And anything in between I'm not aware of? That's spring hill to palm harbor?

Back