I Give Up On Super Skimmer!

oicu2

Premium Member
That's it, I've had it with the Coralife Super Skimmer. I've tried to find pvc that fits it to modify it but with no luck. The guy at Lowe's said that there is no pvc that will fit it because it is a special sized part. Does anyone have a suggestion of another skimmer within the same price range. It would have to be a HOT setup. I currently have the CSS 125 for a 75 gallon tank. I would be very grateful for any suggestions.

Is it a special or is it metric? Most foreign skimmers (I think the CSS is made in China) use metric fittings. You can buy them on-line.

As for a HOT skimmer the handle a 75-gal, that's a tought one. If you don't have too many fish, the Turboflotor 1000 Multi would be OK (but probably not a killer). A Tunze 9005 would probably be better, but it's $255 (and hangs in the tank).

I dont know if it helps but my house vacume system uses a odd sized pvc that dosnt quite fit regular pvc fitings

Just curious, why are you trying to modify this...is it not working as it...I ve actually been lucky enough to have my CSS -65 work with no modifications..

I'm trying to modify it like Russ "masterswimmer" did on the CSS thread. He has a 1" or 3/4" tee plugged into the discharge side of the skimmer. There's more to it but that is where my troubles are. A 1" is too big and a 3/4" is too small. There is no in between. I've even considered using a flexible hose ran from the discharge to my sump. But a hose that size would allow too much flow I think. Anyway, here is the link (if I did it correctly). I really like this skimmer, I'm just disappointed that it has to be modified after all the money I've spent on it.

http://www.reefcentral.com/forums/showthread.php?s=&threadid=694835&perpage=25&highlight=Coralife%20super%20skimmer&pagenumber=26

Sudarshanv,

I'm modifying it because of all the microbubbles that the diffuser box is throwing in my aquarium. I've been having this skimmer for a few months and it is broken in but I'm still getting those darn bubbles. From what I've read the 65 may not have this problem. It is the 125 and 225 models I believe that are having problems. Consider yourself lucky.

i have a 125 and 1" pvc pipe fits into the output perfect- just wrap a with teflon a few times

I also modded the difuser box- seems to work ok-
I siliconed plexi in the bottom to cover the slots, then filled the box with LR. The box is mounted just above water level. The water now has to flow from the bottom of the box thru the rock, and over the edge back to the tank. its working ok, still breaking in, but no sponges to keep clean

Re: I Give Up On Super Skimmer!

<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=8124032#post8124032 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by oicu2
The guy at Lowe's said...

If I always listen to the punk kid at the Blue Box store (or the Orange box store) my home would have been flooded, burned down, blown away and robbed but not necessarily in that order. :eek2: They sure know how to run their mouth about things they know nothing about. They're good for stocking shelves--and even that is debatable.

I'm not sure what you're modding, but if it was a special part that nothing fit, then why does it exist in the first place?"

Jason

Very true Jason! I'll have to agree with you 100%. Yet, it's still frustrating that my skimmer needs to be modified. I've been running it, microbubbles and all, for a few days now without modifying it. It's pulling out good skimmate but I'm still getting bubbles from the diffuser box. I admire those people who have tanks that are crystal clear. My tank could look like that if my skimmer didn't bubble.

rkelman, is your skimmer in your sump or hot? I can't fit mine in the sump. If I could, maybe I wouldn't have this problem.

Anyway, I'll let it run for a few more days. Maybe it needs more time to level out.

I've thought about that but have run into a few problems. Here is a pic of my sump when I first set it up a few months back.

30gallonsump.jpg
[/IMG]

As you can see I have lr rubble on the left where the intake is, a refugium in the middle and return on the left. If I take the lr out and put the CSS pump in its place it might work. The pump might fit snug though. The only problem is I don't think the box will fit. I'm also worried about a chemical imbalance if I take the lr out. What do you think?

the box is only a bubble diffuser, the baffles in your sump should take care of that, and taking live rock out shouldnt do bad, but why not put it in the refugium section?

Do you mean put the box in the refugium or the skimmer pump? Wouldn't either one in the refugium cause a bit of a stir? How would that affect my copepod population? Although, I have seen it done in pics before but I always wondered if it worked ok.

Maybe you meant for me to put the lr rubble in the refugium section, right? I hadn't thought about that, hmmmm.

Back