I just scored two S. Gigantea's this morning.

Reefahholic

I found them in a place that I never really thought to look. I would rather keep the location a secret due to some of my local forum buddies who browse this forum from time to time. I don't want anybody to figure out where I got them, because I believe I can get a few more.

So yeah, just happened to stop by a LFS I rarely visit and low and behold, I saw what appeared to be an Atlantic Carpet Anemone at first glance. As I was looking closer, I saw that some clowns were hosting this Nem. It was a fairly decent size, maybe small to medium. I thought to myself that Atlantic carpets are not host Anemones and that I've never personally seen a clown host them. Not saying it's impossible, but I've just never seen it. So I texted Minh and another experienced reefer and sent pics. We all couldn't really tell from the pictures. Then my phone went dead and the place was closing. So I left and went home, but was still thinking about it all night. After my phone charged and I was looking at the pics again, I was really starting to think that this Nem really looked like a Gig. I decided to go back in the morning. Just before I was about to leave, Minh texted me again and said he also thought the same thing. So I was there when the doors opened and went straight to the tank where I saw it. It was still there. I couldn't believe it! Then upon further inspection, I saw another one that was very small and looked sick that I didn't even see the night before. I don't know how I missed it. I looked for the identifying markings of a Gig and sure enough, they were indeed both Gigs! Can't tell you how excited I got. ;-)

Nothing real special. One was dark brown with a hint of green and the other was a solid light green with no brown. I scrapped both off the glass very patiently and bagged them because the guy said I could do it myself if I wanted. I think he could see that I was worried about him injuring the foot.

Not very pretty at all, but they mean a lot to me. After getting them home and in QT, I noticed that both had changed colors dramatically. The dark brown Gig was now light brown, and the green Gig was now completely brown with not a hint of green. I swear he was a solid light green when I saw him. I don't forget things like that. So anyway, this is not a very good pic, and it was just after I put them in QT with a crappy light on them. The tiny one tripled in size in a matter of mere hours with Cipro dose. He responded very well. I will update shortly when I get a better light on them and they're acclimated better.

I think you guys will be really surprised that one will be "green" like I said. In this picture, you would not think in a billion years that one of these is going to be solid light green. They both look completely brown. I like them though.

:beer:

Last edited:
Is it so hard to find gigs in US? We have a lot of gigs here and very cheap. Blue gigs are just around $60 dollars.

Congrats on your 2 gigs ......keep us update about the 2 :)

Yup.

Yup.

Is it so hard to find gigs in US? We have a lot of gigs here and very cheap. Blue gigs are just around $60 dollars.

My area, unheard off unless I drive 100 miles and hit up a ton of stores then may get lucky.

Just took a picture from the lfs that is 20 min from my house . 3 blue gigs :)

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    37.7 KB · Views: 0

Man you are not kidding. They are hard to come by. You can get them, but they are expensive.

Just took a picture from the lfs that is 20 min from my house . 3 blue gigs :)

DANG!!!!

If I were to walk into a store are see that many healthy Gigs, I'm very likely to go into cardiac arrest. That is awesome, but then again, I think that's what makes us appreciate them so much. Hard to get and hard to keep.

:)

I made a big mistake. I went to the lfs and saw the carpet that looks like haddoni and the lfs told me that it is a haddoni. I was in a hurry so I didn't look at the foot. Took it home and after floating put it in the bucket for acclimating and then I saw purple dots at the foot and then I know they sold me a gigantea. Call them and told them it is not a haddoni and they still said that is a haddoni. I said it have purple dots on the foot, I am not stupid , I know the different of haddoni and gig. I am a woman but not stupid and then they told me to bring it back. If am really sure that I can handle a gig then I will take a chance , but I am sure that I can't handle and don't want a gig die in my tank.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    44.8 KB · Views: 0
I found them in a place that I never really thought to look. I would rather keep the location a secret due to some of my local forum buddies who browse this forum from time to time. I don't want anybody to figure out where I got them, because I believe I can get a few more.

Which Petco was it?
;)

Why do we only have gigs here, I want a blue haddoni and they are so rare here. They even sell red haddoni, but no blue :(

Why do we only have gigs here, I want a blue haddoni and they are so rare here. They even sell red haddoni, but no blue :(
Blue and purple Haddoni are not as rare as Red ones. I am sure if you are patient, you find them. Once you see a Gigantea in person, you will not make mistake a normal Haddoni from a normal Gigantea. There are common anemone out there that are hybrid of the two species, IMO.

I am sorry that you have to return that beautiful Blue Gigantea, I would kill for him.
Gigantea are not common here due to their poor shipping tract record. Many LFS will just eat the cost for them when they get them, so they avoid order them like plaque. Only if they are sure they have a customer for them before they order them. Due to this reason, wholesaler tend to not get them either.

Blue and purple Haddoni are not as rare as Red ones. I am sure if you are patient, you find them. Once you see a Gigantea in person, you will not make mistake a normal Haddoni from a normal Gigantea. There are common anemone out there that are hybrid of the two species, IMO.

I am sorry that you have to return that beautiful Blue Gigantea, I would kill for him.
Gigantea are not common here due to their poor shipping tract record. Many LFS will just eat the cost for them when they get them, so they avoid order them like plaque. Only if they are sure they have a customer for them before they order them. Due to this reason, wholesaler tend to not get them either.

Blue and green gigs arrived here every week , but I haven't seen blue haddonis here in years. But I defiantly will get a gig in the future. I know that I am just not ready yet.

Some petco's will surprise you. I was down in socal and they had a cheap mag for 49.99. I was going to pick it up but didn't have tank space a the time.

Some petco's will surprise you. I was down in socal and they had a cheap mag for 49.99. I was going to pick it up but didn't have tank space a the time.

I agree, however knowing which are the ones that carry Saltwater fish is a pain. I couldn't find a list when I googled. You need to call each store to find out. The one in South Pasadena on Arroyo has an impressive selection (as far as Petco stores go). That's where I bought my 30 dollar Haddoni.

Back