I made a mistake~~~help???

I set up my old 24g nano with some live sand and live rock and some pod filled chaeto for a coral quarantine tank. However, I screwed up and rather than me thinking that the salinity was 1.025 it was actually 1.015 Oooops! So I noticed that and now it up to 1.025,

I saw alot of large amphipods floating dead in the water column and was wondering if my stupid error has killed off all the beneficial life from the rocks and sand?

If so, what will happen to the tank? What do I do next?

I'm so mad at myself! Dummy!:mad2:

A QT tank really should be bare. If you get a disease in the tank you will contaminate all the rock etc. The rock and sand could harbor all sorts of nasties for your next purchase. IMO

Oh ok. I was just folloing some advice of what Eri Borneman said on one of his propagation videos. It is a prop Q tank.

thanks for the adise..Any thoughts on the above issue here?

You'll know pretty quickly if you have a small problem and killed a few pods or a big problem by checking for Amonia. If, as you feared, you killed the live rock/sand, you'll get an amonia spike as the tank cycles. As it progresses you'll see the cycle as the amonia lowers and the nitrites spike, then nitrates, then phosphates. So if you start checking amonia, you'll get an idea.

If it does cycle, you can help by adding a piece or 2 of live rock from another tank for awhile to re seed bacteria.

Good luck.....

How quickly did you go from 1.015 to 1.025? That rapid change would certainly kill alot of life, especially after putting it in 1.015 water to begin with.

3 doses of 1.025 over 2 days, it is still a bit low (at 1.021), but not too much. I will get it fixed tomorrow

There was a snail on one of the rocks (he was hiding so I didn't seee him) and he is doing as snails do. I thought he would die first since snails are so sensitie to changes,

Back