I made the switch back

SnowManSnow1

My lighting journey began 15 years ago with 250wHQI. Next came power compact , t12, ati t5, radions, cheap led boxes, ati t5 again, and I've just reinstalled 250w SE AGAIN. Whew. This time it is the non led version of the reefbrite mh.

I'm certain a lot
Has changed since I've done mh. My question is... what is the best 250w SE mh lamp for coral growth and then color?

Thanks for any opinions
B

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Added RB UV mix :)
508b1dbf6263d5b2761776e287bf48a0.jpg

Looking good, if I could afford the maintenance of SE or HQI I would go back to halides too... loved Radiums and Pheonix bulbs.

3af96f0e7519ab321f628a062ce13671.jpg

I switched back also about one month ago.

8 years: t5 to mh to black boxes to t5 and back to mh now.

Best color is purely subjective. That depends on what you think looks most pleasing. Everyone will disagree on what looks best. I am currently running hamilton 14k SE, I wonder if growth would Improve further if I switched to 10k

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

10k will almost certainly increase growth assuming the required elements are there. Only tough part is that it looks yellow like swimming in shallow ocean water. My favorite combo is still XM 10k with actinic supplementation (4x110w vho superactinic at the time, don't think they make those anymore).

The Xmas 10k made red and purple iridesce in a way I've never seen from another bulb or light type. Let us know how it goes

10k will almost certainly increase growth assuming the required elements are there. Only tough part is that it looks yellow like swimming in shallow ocean water. My favorite combo is still XM 10k with actinic supplementation (4x110w vho superactinic at the time, don't think they make those anymore).

The Xmas 10k made red and purple iridesce in a way I've never seen from another bulb or light type. Let us know how it goes

I like a shallow water look. I ran xm10k years ago and loved them. The 14k are super blue to me. Not bad by any means just very blue

3af96f0e7519ab321f628a062ce13671.jpg

I switched back also about one month ago.

8 years: t5 to mh to black boxes to t5 and back to mh now.

Best color is purely subjective. That depends on what you think looks most pleasing. Everyone will disagree on what looks best. I am currently running hamilton 14k SE, I wonder if growth would Improve further if I switched to 10k

Love your tank man
I'm anxious to get back to that level of cool:)

You don't happen to be using the reefbrite dimmable ballasts ?
I have the varispeed cables but I'm not able to work it right. When I hook the cables in they just dim and come back up over and over

You don't happen to be using the reefbrite dimmable ballasts ?
I have the varispeed cables but I'm not able to work it right. When I hook the cables in they just dim and come back up over and over

That's a bit beyond me honestly. Those are pretty new ballasts I haven't looked into them much. I'm running Lumen Bright mini's on hamilton m58 ballasts

Truthfully searching for bulbs is depressing. Most the big sites are obviously liquidating their supply of halide bulbs and only stocking the $100 a pop giesemanns now, which I've heard deliver abysmal par numbers.

I intend to use most of my coral sale proceeds to stock up on bulbs that way when they're no longer available I'll be able to hold out longer before going to the dark side. Just not sure how much longer they'll hold out.

Personally I’ve always had good color and growth with Radiums. I have used VHO, T5 and led strips (all actinic ) as supplements but any way have always been happy with growth and color.

Both DE Phoenix 14K bulbs and SE Radium bulbs are available from Premium Aquatics and Bulkreefsupply.

I can't imagine wanting more growth than what I had with my radiums and electronic ballasts on the HQI setting. The colors they produce and the and the way it makes corals look is stunning in my opinion.

The best growth and coloration I had was from x4 Blue Plus Bulbs with x2 250w 10k bulbs from amazon. I had undergrowth on my montipora plates and the tank looked bright and colorful.

Back