I need a definitive rule on water changes.

Johny123

I am anal and meticulous. I will follow things to the T, which helps in this hobby. The problem is no one has given me a hard rule on water changes.

How much?
How often?

Can someone give me a rule based on:
1) tank size
2) biomass
3) species of fish
4) level measurement results

Etc.
thanks. I need this in terms of math.

Personally, there isn't much to know how much water need to be changed because it all depends on how much you feed your fish plus the after "by-product" (a.k.a. poop) they release; Which then in turn becomes phosphates and nitrates. As a general rule of thumb....10-15% water change once a week or more with a larger system or if the bio load in the tank us too much maybe up to 25%. So when you asked whether how much, I think it's just based on your own of how much you want to change without changing the overall salinity, ph, and nutrients i.e.: calcium, magnesium, iodine, trace, etc. Plus you have to take account the skimming.

The how often part will depend first on what are your media's that clean and cures phosphates, nitrates, and general pee and poop of your livestock. Whether it being mechanical or biological or both, then you wouldn't have to worry about how often you have to change water because those media's are there for a purpose whether by polishing the water, cleansing the odor, removal of waste by means of anaerobic or aerobic, or others. Those mentioned above with reduce how often you have to change water.

In all, I think it's just best to test your water parameters weekly to better understand what is going on with your water chemistry. If you think your water is dirty, do a water change. If your calcium is low or alkalinity is running low, water change. Everything seems to replenish after a good fresh water change. But of course I'll let someone else better explain what is best cause this is just my opinion.

Sent from my SM-G930T using Tapatalk

There is no formula and will never be one. Every tank is different. What works for one may not work for another.

Too many variables. Is this a reef or FO?

Testing water parameters weekly will give you a good idea of where the tank is going and how much water changes is needed.

Normally, 25% biweekly is a good start for a beginner - helps w/ nitrate removal, stocks your trace elements, replenishes your Ca+ Alk, etc.

Your best bet IMO is to get into the habit of changing out 25% of the water every two weeks and see how the tank responds. Stirring up your sand bed & blasting your rocks with a powerhead once every month or so wouldn't be such a bad idea either. Your Nitrates can be used as an indicator of how hard your tank is working to process all the crap within it. If they stay relatively low then your dong a good job, but if they start to creep up then you'll have to make some changes. Maybe get rid of a fish or two, feed smaller portions etc. While everybody's routine may be different, having a routine can be key sometimes. Good luck!

Many swear by 10% weekly or 20% bi-weekly. As stated above, it will depend on many factors. For me, about 40% every 6 weeks or so does the trick, but I have a light fish load compared to water volume, I feed sparingly, skim heavily, and I watch my corals to give me clues. I also don't mix soft with stony corals so the buildup of toxins (especially form soft corals) is not an issue. It helps that I've been at it for almost 30 years, so I would say experience level plays a large part in it too.

You're probably better off giving us your stats, specifically your tank size, filtration, and livestock and getting advice based on those factors. The best way to tell is by testing your nitrate frequently and when it gets up to 10-15, I'd say it's time. For me, I do 15% weekly!

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

Your best bet IMO is to get into the habit of changing out 25% of the water every two weeks and see how the tank responds. Stirring up your sand bed & blasting your rocks with a powerhead once every month or so wouldn't be such a bad idea either. Your Nitrates can be used as an indicator of how hard your tank is working to process all the crap within it. If they stay relatively low then your dong a good job, but if they start to creep up then you'll have to make some changes. Maybe get rid of a fish or two, feed smaller portions etc. While everybody's routine may be different, having a routine can be key sometimes. Good luck!

+1 Yes, consistency and at regular intervals.

I'm with Tspors58 on this one. If you need serious rules about how to do things, this may not be the hobby for you.

In this hobby if you ask 10 reefers an question, you'll get 15 different answers!

As stated there are no hard and fast rules about much of anything in this hobby. Look up sump design and see how many different set ups come up and that's just one piece of equipment.

As someone who likes to keep a regimen also I feed my clowns sinking pellets on Tuesday and Thursday. I can control the pellets so once they both ignore a pellet no more goes in. Sometimes I'll feed my Acans pellets because I like how they look when they have eaten. Wednesday and Sunday I feed my corals ROE and Sunday is mandatory water change and HOB cleaning. Ill test my nitrates but its always in between 5-10pmm mark I cant really tell the difference between the yellows (API test kit) so I do a 2g water change. Mind you my tanks only been up for a month and a half but I feel I don't over feed and my nitrates haven't gone nuts yet.

How much?
Base it of what you feed the fish and how often, watch the nitrates.(I know you do)
How often?
Again based on how much and how often you feed.

Personally I look at water changes as a process with diminishing returns. Your doing 25% change to your tank adding new clean water to some polluted water in an attempt to clean it or reduce its pollution content. You can't do this too often however because you need the bacteria in the water to keep the waste in the water under control. That being said you could probably do a water change every day if you wanted and have super clean water(not recommended). I believe many do the weekly and bi-weekly water changes because it works for them and its a nice way for us who are not meticulous to keep a happy reef.(I.E. Me weekly 20%) So if you have to have some rules to follow based on your systems I can give my opinion(not professional reef advice just my personal opinion).

I have to change the order and add some to your list:

Feeding - eye of fish is roughly stomach size of fish(till you make them fat, then the size increases)
Light-1 eye size per fish
Med-2 eye size per fish or 2x daily feeding
High-anything more than above(fat fish time)

2) biomass - Measured by inch of fish per gal of water volume
Low=25%
Med=25-60%
High=60-200% <=== Those people exist and have amazing filtration and generally large tanks and sumps I think Ron Reefman is one of those guys

1) tank size
Small(anything less than 20gal) Weekly changes due to small total system volume for filtration and bacteria

Med(20gal-90gal) Bi-Weekly changes

Large(90gal-300gal) Bi-Weekly to Monthly

Reef(300gal+) Can get away with a lot depending on bio load and dosing

3) species of fish
Only matters on how big those bad boys get and or are already

Give feeding and biomass levels of measure 1,2,3 (low/med/high) add together divide by 2 to determine percent of water change. Follow tank size recommendations for water changes.

This is the best I can come up with based on the question asked. I personally as mentioned earlier do 20% weekly to both of my 150gal tanks with their 300gal total system waters (2 300gal systems) I am med/high biomass and high feeding. I do more than what I listed cuz I have a lot of corals in 1 system and the other cuz its 110% stocked by my measurements(looking to add more). I would also like to state again I'm not a pro I look on these forums because I want to learn as much as I can and some people ask questions about things I never knew could happen prior to that reading. I can only give what information I use and practice but that doesn't mean its right just means I haven't killed my fish/corals on their 1st 16mo with me. (some fish absolutely died during the move, I do have 4 original 1st fish I ever purchased though)

I hope this helps in some way shape or form and that the real reef pros here can maybe edit it if it is helpful to you.

How much?
Base it of what you feed the fish and how often, watch the nitrates.(I know you do)
How often?
Again based on how much and how often you feed.

Personally I look at water changes as a process with diminishing returns. Your doing 25% change to your tank adding new clean water to some polluted water in an attempt to clean it or reduce its pollution content. You can't do this too often however because you need the bacteria in the water to keep the waste in the water under control. That being said you could probably do a water change every day if you wanted and have super clean water(not recommended). I believe many do the weekly and bi-weekly water changes because it works for them and its a nice way for us who are not meticulous to keep a happy reef.(I.E. Me weekly 20%) So if you have to have some rules to follow based on your systems I can give my opinion(not professional reef advice just my personal opinion).

I have to change the order and add some to your list:

Feeding - eye of fish is roughly stomach size of fish(till you make them fat, then the size increases)
Light-1 eye size per fish
Med-2 eye size per fish or 2x daily feeding
High-anything more than above(fat fish time)

2) biomass - Measured by inch of fish per gal of water volume
Low=25%
Med=25-60%
High=60-200% <=== Those people exist and have amazing filtration and generally large tanks and sumps I think Ron Reefman is one of those guys

1) tank size
Small(anything less than 20gal) Weekly changes due to small total system volume for filtration and bacteria

Med(20gal-90gal) Bi-Weekly changes

Large(90gal-300gal) Bi-Weekly to Monthly

Reef(300gal+) Can get away with a lot depending on bio load and dosing

3) species of fish
Only matters on how big those bad boys get and or are already

Give feeding and biomass levels of measure 1,2,3 (low/med/high) add together divide by 2 to determine percent of water change. Follow tank size recommendations for water changes.

This is the best I can come up with based on the question asked. I personally as mentioned earlier do 20% weekly to both of my 150gal tanks with their 300gal total system waters (2 300gal systems) I am med/high biomass and high feeding. I do more than what I listed cuz I have a lot of corals in 1 system and the other cuz its 110% stocked by my measurements(looking to add more). I would also like to state again I'm not a pro I look on these forums because I want to learn as much as I can and some people ask questions about things I never knew could happen prior to that reading. I can only give what information I use and practice but that doesn't mean its right just means I haven't killed my fish/corals on their 1st 16mo with me. (some fish absolutely died during the move, I do have 4 original 1st fish I ever purchased though)

I hope this helps in some way shape or form and that the real reef pros here can maybe edit it if it is helpful to you.

Nice post! Thanks.

I understand that there is no hard and fast rule, but like anything challenging in life, I try to approach it with some sort of equation and tactic.

Hobbyist 1: "I do a 25% water change every 3-4 weeks"
Hobbyist 2: "I do a 10% water change once a week."
Hobbyist 3: "I do a 40% water change every 6 months..."

My point is...there needs to be some rules for new guys like us.

This is how I would approach it...building off your suggestions

I'm sure if you figure out all the variables (Tank size, Biomass, frequency of feeding, species of fish) you can come up with a rough rule (if you give each species a number ranking based on difficulty).

Lets say that rule ends up being 25% once every two weeks.

Then you can modulate this formula with weekly testing. As long as your test results fall within a given range, you continue with the calculated water change rule.

Any deviation from the testing results should yield some form of modification in wither volume or frequency.

A Nitrate level greater than "x" means that 25% water change every two weeks is now a 15% water change every week until Nitrate levels fall below "x." Then you return to 25% every two weeks.

Sorry...I may seem like I'm sucking all the fun out of this hobby, but for me this is fun. I have an excel spreadsheet for my 16 gallon bio cube, it's the way I approach these sorts of things.

If whatever you decide what's right for you and your tank is fun, well that's the whole idea!
25% twice a month is a great starting point. Your water tests will guide you to modify the schedule. Test often starting out (even daily while cycling). You'll get a feel for when you can reduce the frequency.
Or, if it's fun for you keep up the schedule.

And here I am...lol. Sorry to burst bubbles but it's been about 2 years since I've done a water change. I've got a 55 gallon with a hang on back skimmer and nothing more and a 180 gallon with 90 gallon sump and skimmer. Both stocked medium to light with soft corals and the fish and coral are doing great. Live rock, good sand bed and the right sized clean up crew make a huge difference. I started with water changes once a month for about a year and then decided to go "change-less" and all my parameters have been in check since. I feed once a day and keep the lights on for 10 hours. Like everyone else says, see what works for you. Just keep an eye on your parameters. Good luck

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I'd argue it would be dangerous to create some sort of set rule for water changes. Or anything in this hobby really. Newbie comes in learning that you MUST change 10% weekly. And does so, but nothing more. No testing, because why bother when sticking to the rules. That's how things go bad.

One rules that I would recommend is: Don't use someone else's premixed saltwater for your water changes if you decide to do them. Make your own so you know exactly what you are putting into your tank.

Basically, what the majority is saying start with 25% biweekly and adjust based on your weekly testing.

That would be your general guideline for newbies entering the hobby.

Back