I remember when.......

I'm still here too, just upgraded to a 60G cube.
That sounds funny from a guy that used to have a 330G in his basement...Don't miss that thing really...

I purchased a house, had my fourth kid, busy with life in general. I really wanted out but my wife insisted I stay in (she's a great lady). I put some money and time into my tank and boy im glad I did. I realized I really enjoy this hobby.

Since I started iv seen a lot of trends go in and out. I figured out what worked for me and stuck with it. No crazy high tech stuff for me. I keep it basic and once the tank is on cruise control all I have to do is feed my fish, top off the tank and change my water every few months.

My motto is KISS: keep is simple sulay.

I'm still here too, just upgraded to a 60G cube.
That sounds funny from a guy that used to have a 330G in his basement...Don't miss that thing really...

Haha.. nice? Any Tank builds on the new one?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I purchased a house, had my fourth kid, busy with life in general. I really wanted out but my wife insisted I stay in (she's a great lady). I put some money and time into my tank and boy im glad I did. I realized I really enjoy this hobby.

Since I started iv seen a lot of trends go in and out. I figured out what worked for me and stuck with it. No crazy high tech stuff for me. I keep it basic and once the tank is on cruise control all I have to do is feed my fish, top off the tank and change my water every few months.

My motto is KISS: keep is simple sulay.
DITTO to much money for the "high tech crap" with very little difference.

Time is the most precious commodity for me and it stops me from posting much anywhere. That being said had saltwater tanks with my dad when I was a kid in the late early 80s and tanks since 2000 this run.

Currently ~500G of multiple tanks in one system in the finished basement and about to launch a reworked 22G zero edge I rebuilt from buying on RC from someone used almost two years ago for my 'birthday' that year. I joke I work on projects on geological timescales at this point (again time and lack of it).

Also have plans for more tanks in basement and possibly another in the living room.

FWIW, when I upgrade/change things I always try to (almost) give away things for far less than what they could net if I worked at it - both to save me time and also to help out someone starting/upgrading and not looking to pay full retail $$.

Lastly as anyone who knows me knows, I am always happy to discuss tanks and reefing at a moments notice. Its just the threads and posts things doesn't quite for someone who enjoys talking in person much much more. I miss the meetings from when I first started in this where many of us would meet in person regularly at the Schaumburg library (10-15 years ago) and chat but I think online forums and social media seem to have switched folks away from that.

I must agree with the terribly old and wise ones who have posted in this thread. This forum is not what it used to be

If anyone can post their new tank builds that be great. [emoji846][emoji111]šŸ¼ļø[emoji1360]

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I have been off the forum for 7 months because of a newborn and man it was slow before its dead now. I just looked at the pay it forward thread and i still have a post on the most recent page. That's sad.

The bubble burst, many fled, then more opted out. Too bad, many deals to be had but that seems to be slowing down too, maybe getting close to the bottom. Get ready for the bounce after the holidays.

Sully, glad to see you're still around. Been trying to track down one of Your famous Red bubble tips that i gave away a year or so ago. My original one didn't survive its last spit sadly. The people who i gave them away to seem to have quit the hobby already. Sad really. How are your tanks doing?

How are the frag swaps these days? Do they still exist? I haven't been in years, almost since Boyd. $5 would get you a tiny piece of something really nice, occasionally a large chunk. I might hand out free frags with my "I don't quarantine, you might want to dip" warning. I went to one about 3 years ago and I felt like if I didn't have several hundred in my pocket I was wasting my time, it was all vendors with LFS prices.

Crap, I just saw my avatar and realized I've been a member of this forum for over a decade... how is it 2016 now? Wait, 2017?

NWI isn't much better. Very few people online on my local forum. Never been to any of their meetings either, not like they had very many. Takes a lot of effort and time to do these things.

How are the frag swaps these days? Do they still exist? I haven't been in years, almost since Boyd. $5 would get you a tiny piece of something really nice, occasionally a large chunk. I might hand out free frags with my "I don't quarantine, you might want to dip" warning. I went to one about 3 years ago and I felt like if I didn't have several hundred in my pocket I was wasting my time, it was all vendors with LFS prices.

They are still there same only smaller.

Smaller may be good. It would be nice to get it back to an actual swap. Though there were a few vendors that always had awesome deals... I forget his name but he had the ziplocks of frags and always had great and often rarely seen LPS for $5, $10, $15. Started with an M I think. Great guy.

Remember when corals were for sale. Looking at the general section, other locations seem to be filled with corals. Just straight up dead in Chicago

i know i do not speak for the majority, but a lot of the local people who posted wanted to also have some fun with their reef discussions, for better or worse that is mostly not allowed on here. So you find a bunch of them moved onto much smaller local forums, I still like rc for the wealth of knowledge and for all the help that everyone is willing to offer but the reality is i have a close circle of friends i made on here who i keep in touch with even though i moved out of state. Things are still going strong in Chicago, i know and im not there. My area (dallas/ft. worth) sucks so far, i cant make good contacts, i already offended people because i stated one of their stores is overpriced and overall im not happy, i cant find sps and nice fish on my side of town, gotta drive 40-50 miles.

i know i do not speak for the majority, but a lot of the local people who posted wanted to also have some fun with their reef discussions, for better or worse that is mostly not allowed on here. So you find a bunch of them moved onto much smaller local forums, I still like rc for the wealth of knowledge and for all the help that everyone is willing to offer but the reality is i have a close circle of friends i made on here who i keep in touch with even though i moved out of state. Things are still going strong in Chicago, i know and im not there. My area (dallas/ft. worth) sucks so far, i cant make good contacts, i already offended people because i stated one of their stores is overpriced and overall im not happy, i cant find sps and nice fish on my side of town, gotta drive 40-50 miles.

Good to see you still around dohc, how's Dallas? Houston is much better for reefing in my opinion, I have a few connects out there when I'm in town.

Back