I think I need some help, maybe a free fish here

I have a friend with a fish only set up and im sure he would love to have the fish. Where is Winter Haven. We live in Ocoee, its just west of Orlando. Maybe we can meet half way or something if you still have the fish after work today.

What store sold this to you? Being that they said it was a pygmy and it is not; also saying it is reef safe and is not. Those are two huge misconceptions and big misinformation. Did the employee look up the fish or did he give you this knowledge from his memory? If he got it from a book, he is just doing his job. If he told you this without looking it up, then he lied to you and as a customer I would not just accept that. I would definitely go back and complain.

If someone ever sold me a "reef-safe" cuttlefish and my whole tank died, I would be ticked off to say the least. Luckily, Marcye would never do such a dishonest thing. I won't shop somewhere in which I do not trust the owner to stand behind their word and the words of their employees.

Go back to the store and force them to take it back for an exchange. Their misappropriation of definitions is immoral and quite possible illegal(though I am not a lawyer, so I don't know).

If they still say "no," come back here and post about your experiences. I would be willing to bet that our club is the primary mode of monetary profit for most saltwater fish stores in Orlando. A negative feedback here can make all the difference for a company. I feel strongly in praising a company when they do you right, but moreover criticizing a company when they do you wrong.

That is a Grey/Black
(Pomacanthus arcuatus)
Angel either from Fl keys or Brazil sometimes confused with a French Angel (they lose there yellow stripes as adults) defiantly not reef safe primary diet in the wild is sponge.Great hardy fish though.

I'd definitely try calling them and see what they will do for you. I can't believe any lfs would just stick you with a fish they misrepresented. At the least, a store credit should be offered.

Thanks to everyone that either offered to help, or to take this little guy.
I ended up taking it to my other LFS, were it will never be sold as a reef safe pygmy. I can at least rest knowing it is in good hands, and not in the hands of someone who thinks they know everything.
I did talk yo the manager, and he did offer to take it back, and give a store credit. I didn't want to chance this little guy going through this all over again, or someone flushing it because it ate there corals. Due to an employee not knowing what they are talking about.
I know everyone gets frustrated when this stuff happens, and some of that should be directed at me. Because I know better than to not research something before I buy. This engraves it in stone for me. I also know better than to shop this store.
Thanks again to everyone for there help.

I know how you feel man. I did the same thing with a yellow clown goby. Although mostly reef safe, they have been known to nip and nest in sps corals. So, low and behold I don't find this out until afterwards and have to tear my tank apart in order to get the guy out. I then had to pawn him off on a coworker that has a fo system. What a pain. Now, if I see something I like at the store I politely ask what it is, and then go home and find the answers on care, etc.

<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=9230685#post9230685 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by reefnfish
That is a Grey/Black
(Pomacanthus arcuatus)

Can anybody explain why and if this is true. I can't find a site that compares them or any great pictures showing the difference at such a young age.

Pomacanthus arcuatus
Pomacanthus paru

Back