ich treatment in a nano reef

eazompa

I have a 24g nano with a flame angel that has been well for many months, I bought some polyps from a lfs and put them in the tank and shortly after noticed a single white spot on the angel. Going back to the store I saw that they had some ich infected fish in their invert/coral tanks...go figure that one out. Removing the fish (who still appears very healthy and eats well) is not an option without tearing down the whole tank which is in the waiting room of my clinic. After reviewing all of the options I'm limited to garlic and flagyl. It just so happens that I have a whole bottle of the flagyl in my clinic...anybody know what kind of dose/concentration to use?....or any better ideas?
thanks

First of all, there are lots of relatively easy ways to extract fish from a display without destroying everything. See here,
http://reefkeeping.com/issues/2006-06/sp/index.php

And, I woud be remiss if I did not mention that a 24 gallon nano seems a bit cramped to me for the long-term care of a flame angelfish.

As to your question, Noga lists two different methods for dosing Flagyl to a body of water, but these are for the treatment of intestinal flagellates or anaerobic bacteria.

1.) 6.6 mg/l treated once daily for a total of three times

2.) 25 mg/l treated every other day for a total of three times

The answer to both questions is I don't know. I have yet to read any study that it was either reef-safe or effective against Marine Ich.

Assuming I can't get the fish out of the tank (lots of coral and rock) It's in my waiting room and I just can't tear it down)...The tank was set up with the fish, quarantined and then the coral was added....never should have bought for petco...but that's what I'm stuck with....any recommendations?
thanks

Sure, but you are not going to like it. I would get the fish out. Removing one fish from that size display won't be that difficult or destructive. I would use the high and dry method in the link above. Then I would remove that fish to quarantine (http://www.reefkeeping.com/issues/2004-10/sp/feature/index.php) and treat with either copper or hyposalinity. You can quick cycle the quarantine's filter using Marineland's Bio-Spira or you might be able to remove something from the display that would work.

Unfortunately the percula shown signs...dottyback looks good though...don't have anyplace else in the clinic I can put a QT......For now I am mixing the flagyl with the food a a somewhat guessed dose....so far no ill effects, but not much improvement...(I guess I won't notice any until this round drops off) I may try and see if there is a local maint. service that dould Q them for me....but I don't know of any down here...

<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=11055938#post11055938 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by eazompa
For now I am mixing the flagyl with the food a a somewhat guessed dose.
The dosage for in food is 25 mg per kg of fish weight fed daily for 5-10 days, but I have no idea how you would determine the mass of the fish.

Thanks....I'll estimate...although I am finding them less willing to eat the treated food...Are there any inverts you know of that are particularly sensitive? The all look great...incl
green gonio
yellow gonio
snake polyps
several types off zoos flame scallop
cleaner shrimp
I think the dotty back ate all of the peppermints
sun coral
LT plate
xenia
I appreciate the advice...if you know of anybody in the galveston area that could QT the fish....send them my way

Back