ID: Ocellaris or Percula?

roushracer

Bought a pair of these, were sold to me as perculas, but upon research they look to be ocellaris. They are about 1" long.

Can anyone confirm?

Also is there any difference between the two other than looks?

March2008044.jpg

I think they're all pretty much sold as perculas. I've tried ordering perculas 3 times now, and they keep sending ocellaris. I keep refusing to buy them (from my friend) I know she's a little ticked off, but I won't buy what I don't want. Besides I already have some.

I think the easiest thing to look for is the thick black lines. check the 'percula club' thread in this forum. you will find even experienced reefers have different opinions on the appearance.

I've read true percs have 10 'spine' thingies, while false percs have 11. Good luck counting those lol!

Odd thing with the eyes is, I have a pair of Solomon Island true percs, which are obviously true percs because of the amount of black, with dark eyes like that. I'm not convinced that the eye color is really definitive for identification.

Just my $0.02

holy headache....no way I could count them....

<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=12277127#post12277127 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by sk8rreefgeek
I think the easiest thing to look for is the thick black lines. check the 'percula club' thread in this forum. you will find even experienced reefers have different opinions on the appearance.

I've read true percs have 10 'spine' thingies, while false percs have 11. Good luck counting those lol!

I think that the eyes and black markings are probably the easiest. The thing is, once you have been doing identifications for a while and getting them right, you don't really have to stare at them to tell. Some thing I have figured out anyway...

Meh, this is also my third pair sold to me as "true perculas" and I'm getting really tired of being sold something different.

I know I should just pick a pair of clowns I like regardless of true or false, but when I buy something that I'm told is one thing, I expect it to be that and not something else.

Back