ID on pods. What kind of pods are these?

I bought a reef punch from a LFS and cultured it for a while. Looks like there are a few different kinds of pods in the mix.
Wondering what are they.
thank you

You really need at least a dissecting scope to ID the species. A lot of those "smaller" ones are likely juvenile Tigriopus. The large ones that look like two bumps together are adults carrying eggs.

...Also. Having a mix of species, one will always out compete the rest. Since Tigriopus, the large ones, take about 8 weeks to reach maturity, the microscopic ones that reach maturity in a few days, will stave them out. Mixed cultures ususally ends up with you having a culture of rotifers.

Hard to The larger ones look like maybe tisbe with eggs. The smaller could be juveniles. If they are larger and reder in color they could be tigger.
Tisbe will crawl around where other copepods in the hobby are mostly in the water column. Tiggers I find do both but mostly water column. Apoc are almost always in the water column.
Most of the copepods sold in the hobby are useless other than food and do not survive in a reef because they spend to much time in the water column. They were selected for breeding fish, inverts shellfish etc.. Some may survive in a low flow refugium but not usually in a aquarium.
If selecting a copepod for a reef I would go tisbe because they are benthic...

Last edited:
Back