if money wasnt an issue, what is the one fish you would get?

I would build a huge pond like 100k gallons and make it a reef with parrot fish angles sharks rays eels parrot fish triggers and all the coral i can find but if it was fish only I would get that kiri trigger in divers den and the crosshatch pair at the lfs

If it was actually possible, Chaetodontoplus ballinae, but since that is not happening legally...I'll have to then say, Genicanthus personatus

If it was actually possible, Chaetodontoplus ballinae, but since that is not happening legally...I'll have to then say, Genicanthus personatus

geeez, personatus? you're really settling there compared the ballinae :)

I agree, C. ballinae has to be it for me.

BINGO Matt!!!! I would have to say this is the pinnacle or sure

Hey Chris, I came THIIIIIIIIS close to seeing Ballina Angels in the wild earlier this year.

If you are a big fan of this fish like I am I'm sure you've heard Copps describe how it has only been seen alive at rec scuba depths out at Ball's Pyramid, a small islet near Lord Howe Island. It is found at LHI, but only if you go very very deep. At BP you can see it at 70 feet or so. In January I was on LHI for a week and did plenty of diving and snorkeling. This one tiny rock in the middle of the ocean is the only place on the planet you can see this fish alive, and I was only about 10 miles away from it...exciting stuff.

I had a dive voucher all booked and reserved to go to BP, but the ocean did not cooperate with us. There were a couple guys I spoke with on the island who had been there for 6 weeks and still had not gotten an opportunity to go to BP because of weather. Conditions have to be just right to allow a trip. There are only 2 dive boats on the island, and both are tiny, hold about 8-10 divers max, so any waves and wind make the journey out there impossible.

Anyway, I really wanted to come back with a story that would make Copps jealous, but no such luck. This time. ;)

Here is Ball's Pyramid, and that's Lord Howe Island in the background.
Balls-Pyramid-3.jpg

LOL, not much different than trying to see King Kong on his island, it sounds like :D

Hey Chris, I came THIIIIIIIIS close to seeing Ballina Angels in the wild earlier this year.

If you are a big fan of this fish like I am I'm sure you've heard Copps describe how it has only been seen alive at rec scuba depths out at Ball's Pyramid, a small islet near Lord Howe Island. It is found at LHI, but only if you go very very deep. At BP you can see it at 70 feet or so. In January I was on LHI for a week and did plenty of diving and snorkeling. This one tiny rock in the middle of the ocean is the only place on the planet you can see this fish alive, and I was only about 10 miles away from it...exciting stuff.

I had a dive voucher all booked and reserved to go to BP, but the ocean did not cooperate with us. There were a couple guys I spoke with on the island who had been there for 6 weeks and still had not gotten an opportunity to go to BP because of weather. Conditions have to be just right to allow a trip. There are only 2 dive boats on the island, and both are tiny, hold about 8-10 divers max, so any waves and wind make the journey out there impossible.

Anyway, I really wanted to come back with a story that would make Copps jealous, but no such luck. This time. ;)

Here is Ball's Pyramid, and that's Lord Howe Island in the background.
Balls-Pyramid-3.jpg

Conniella Apterygia (mutant wrasse) found only in the Rowley Shoals in a protected area so I am guessing it would take a governmental bribe to send a diver in to get one.

Well, if we are talking non-available species, then I'd say Centropyge nahackyi and Amphiprion omanensis would be high on my list :)

Conniella Apterygia (mutant wrasse) found only in the Rowley Shoals in a protected area so I am guessing it would take a governmental bribe to send a diver in to get one.

Ah, you just had a peek at my list of future vacation destinations, didn't you. :D You already have the prettier version of them with the Earle's. ;)

Hey Jim, your comment had me doing some googling because I could have sworn this area was open to rec diving.

http://www.naturebase.net/component/option,com_hotproperty/task,view/id,161/Itemid,755/

It appears that diving is open in the Rowley Shoals, and even some deep sea fishing, but no fish collection. So you can at least see them in the wild, but yeah, no chance of getting one legally in an aquarium.

A. kingi and P. boylei would be it, those money can buy at one point or another.... but C. ballinae, would be the ultimate dream. I have only managed to see 2 photos of it and it is the same ones over and over again in all books and articles.

A. kingi and P. boylei would be it, those money can buy at one point or another.... but C. ballinae, would be the ultimate dream. I have only managed to see 2 photos of it and it is the same ones over and over again in all books and articles.

You can see a great photo of one here on Frank Baensch's site:
http://www.bluereefphoto.org

Go to Pictures By Location>Lord Howe Island 2009

One of the pictures that requires purchase before viewing is a pair of Ballinas at Ball's Pyramid. Pretty sure it is the only such picture in existence.

I love dwarf angels so Centropyge interruptus for me (and the equipment I currently have). If I ever see one of these for sale locally then the FW fish get evicted and the 75G gets a quick make over. :)

Femininus wrasse, clarion angel, conspicculatus angel and peppermint dwarf angel. And a nice big group of ventralis anthias.

Another one where the system to safely house a certain fish would be the expensive part: I would say an adult queen angelfish as a centerpiece in a very large system and build a carribean biotope around it. And, if money could purchase carribean live corals legally, well then, there ya go...

Tankmates? Several dusky jawfish, Centropyge argi, blue angelfish, french angelfish, rock beauty, swissguard basslet, several Atlantic blue tangs, spotted hawkfish, sharpnose puffer, etc...maybe a longnose butterfly or four...and of course, as many blennies as I could fit.

Back