BUDGET REEFING: Inexpensive, yet beautiful, fish

HumbleFish

Dr. Fish
Premium Member
Hi everyone - I'm starting a new video series focused on how to save money in this hobby. After talking with several LFS & online vendors recently; I am convinced that the saltwater side of our hobby is going through some contraction right now. There are probably several reasons why, but one is the greatly increased cost of tanks, equipment, dry goods, livestock, etc.

Some of this is out of our control, but I thought it might be fun/useful to do a series of videos (or livestreams) on "Budget Reefkeeping". I'm sure many of you have figured out tips, tricks, hacks, DIY to make reef keeping more affordable.

So, if you'd like to participate in a video series with me about this just let me know! Let's help others be able to participate in this hobby on a budget!

The first in this series will be "Inexpensive, yet beautiful, fish" presented by @eatbreakfast (TJ Engels). TJ is a fish stocking expert. His presentation will be on the below Youtube livestream on Thursday, March 21st at 8pm ET / 5pm PT:

I only have five fish (4 in my 75g DT and 1 in my QT). I probably have room for 4-5 more, So I will definitely be interested in hearing what fish to consider

Thanks for all the great information today. I am actually going to buy a molly tomorrow and see if I can acclimate it for my saltwater tank.

I read an article a while back about about a foot long goldfish being caught in salt water somewhere in Australia. They thought it was a different species, but after a DNA test it turned out to be a regular pet store goldfish

Thanks for all the great information today. I am actually going to buy a molly tomorrow and see if I can acclimate it for my saltwater tank.
Some reading info below:

I recommend using either Sailfin or Balloon mollies. The smaller mollies don't seem to do as well in a saltwater aquarium.

Whatever kind of molly this guy is, he lived in my frag tank for two years. Wasn't really all that interested in algae as many say they are. He was still a great fish though.

my_molly.jpg

I never tried to do that. But I know 350 years ago when I kept freshwater that was a Platy. :D
Freshwater fish are really stupid so they probably don't know if it's saltwater or chicken soup. :unsure:

Back