If You’re New Here

Hi Karen, I’ve never (over 30 years in the hobby) heard of anything like this. If you decide to manually swish the rock out, Make sure to wear gloves, eye protection and a mask since you suspect this might be the cause of your family’s reactions.

You might want to also consider SLOWLY, replacing the sand bed. I would do less than 1/8 at a time over a period of months.

I’ll also ask for some backup and help here for other ideas. @shred5 @kharmaguru @reefing102 @wvned @Genetics I’m sure I’m forgetting some others but running out the door.

Last edited:
Nope, I use 2 inhalers a day and my tank contents have never bothered me. I know some marine life like red tide can have toxins that get can be inhaled but that has an obvious appearance.
2 people equally susceptible would be a toxin and not an allergy.

I am wondering if you are stirring up anaerobic areas in the tank and releasing hydrogen sulfide. Enough to make you sick.
People that have kept tanks for a while expect the smell somewhat to be normal and ignore it.

Hydrogen sulfide is often produced from the microbial breakdown of organic matter in the absence of oxygen, such as in swamps and sewers; this process is commonly known as anaerobic digestion, which is done by sulfate-reducing microorganisms.

Randy Holmes has a big article on this (of course he does)

https://reefkeeping.com/issues/2005-12/rhf/index.php#14

Exposure to lower concentrations can result in eye irritation, a sore throat and cough, shortness of breath, and fluid in the lungs. These symptoms usually go away in a few weeks

Last edited:
@wvned beat me to it. I haven’t experienced anything like it but that would be my best guess since there’s no corals

I was suspecting hydrogen sulfide (as wvned mentioned) after reading some articles in the past. Although there is no odor that we detect, after a couple hours of exposure, we start feeling ill. I might add..... the sand and live rock (some large pieces maybe 15 lbs each) have been in this tank for approx 15 years. After all that time there has to be a lot of dead microorganism's and debris clogging the pours in the rock. I notice when I blow off the rocks, so much more "stuff" comes off and out of the holes than say 5 or 6 years ago. It's only within the past couple years we've been getting sick. Never had a problem years ago. Also want to point out I see less copepods and other small creatures and tiny feather dusters than
say a few years ago.
I 'd like to know if removing the rock and swishing vigorously in a pail with saltwater (in a bathroom with an exhaust fan) would sufficiently clean the rocks. I'll likely siphon out some of the sand and discard. Any other suggestions on cleaning the rock/sand are really appreciated!!

Hello all! I'm back after having to shut down my tank in spring 2017. I've just started a new 24G AIO tank, looking forward to talking reef with all you great people!

Helloe veryone,

I am new here but not so new to the hobby. I have had a 47G upright 20x20x40 salt water fish tank for 14 years. I have been down to one last clown fish for the last 5, 6 years but hope to pick up the pace again soon.

Glad to have found this forum.

Narenjee

Helloe veryone,

I am new here but not so new to the hobby. I have had a 47G upright 20x20x40 salt water fish tank for 14 years. I have been down to one last clown fish for the last 5, 6 years but hope to pick up the pace again soon.

Glad to have found this forum.

Narenjee
Welcome.

Back