If you could pick just 1 angel....

Regal or Emperor Angelfish.

BTW: Can one of these be added to a 72 Gallon?

Which is more docile?

The Regal is much, much more docile. Sometimes too much so - depending on the tankmates. They can easily be bullied by tangs and other angels.

Regal or Emperor Angelfish.

BTW: Can one of these be added to a 72 Gallon?

Which is more docile?

Both of these need a larger tank. The regal maybe in a 125 and the emperor over 200 gallons minimum

BFs are definitely up there with queens and emperors on agression. But for your tank, it's the fish i would go with. They are awesome! Once mine hit that 6" mark his agression increased a lot, make sure if you do multiple angels its the last.

Regals are awesome too, just get one thats eating at the LFS. We have been very lucky with the regals that have come in lately, all eating well out of the gate.

Flagfins are great too, and mine never exhibited agression toward anyone but themselves, which was minor. Hardy, flashy, stay relatively small and do well with more than one in a tank.

I had seen a stunning regal at my lfs - misbarred. BUT wasn't eating so used my better judgment. I have heard they are more difficult to keep.

I have heard mixed reviews about the hardiness of a flagfin. Any other experience with adding one to an established tank? I do have a few larger fish BUT the only one I have ever had issues with when adding a new fish has been the purple tang - but that has only been for a couple of days. Flagfin is also a great looking fish IMO. I like the bright colors more than a goldflake.

Thinking of either a scribbled and a flagfin or just an imperador (changing). Ahhh decisions, decisions.....

A regal would be a questionsble choice given the OP's desired traits - hardy and bold enough to stick up for itself.

I had seen a stunning regal at my lfs - misbarred. BUT wasn't eating so used my better judgment. I have heard they are more difficult to keep.

I have heard mixed reviews about the hardiness of a flagfin. Any other experience with adding one to an established tank? I do have a few larger fish BUT the only one I have ever had issues with when adding a new fish has been the purple tang - but that has only been for a couple of days. Flagfin is also a great looking fish IMO. I like the bright colors more than a goldflake.

Thinking of either a scribbled and a flagfin or just an imperador (changing). Ahhh decisions, decisions.....

You're stronger than me. I would of jumped all over it because of the misbar. But yeah wait for one that eats. The yellow bellies that have been coming in are rock solid. They'll get one, always get mine to start on mussels or clam.

If you choose a flagfin, go small. I got mine at 2" and they were awesome. I thought my puffer ate both, so I did a massive overhaul on the tank. Took it through a complete cycle, basically started over. One morning I walked out and there's the other flagfin, fat and happy, swimming around. Lived through the whole thing. Idk others experience with small ones, but the larger ones don't do well. Get two if that's the way you go. Watching them interact with one another is funny, and they stay relatively small.

Back