If you could pick just 1 angel....

gsiegel

Although personal preference of course - if you were going to add 1 angel as your last fish, and care more about the cool looks and personality, and it being hardy, as opposed to it being a rare $$$$ angel (no conspic) what would you add and why? The other fish are in my signature so he should not be too bold, but also not a pushover. My current inhabitants are all really good together and the only issue I have ever had was adding the blue tang after the purple - the purple was a bully for just a couple of days which I know is normal for him, but now no issues at all.

In a separate post I was considering an Annularis, but want some feedback. Was also thinking of a male scribbled but I know harder to find. Thanks for all input.

Queens are beautiful and not too pricey, but will probably be too big long term. One of my favorites though.

Regal angel, they don't get huge, are definitely not aggressive towards other fish and in my mind beautiful

Large navarchus angels are very impressive... the purple and orange colors aren't very common either. And they don't get huge or really mean.

10652734484_c6694cf9bd_z.jpg

My favorite angel in a FOWLR is the Blue Face. I saw a stunning six inch specimen at a LFS yesterday. Bright gold, electric blue, unique markings. Just striking, IMO.

ETA: A male scribbled is also a fantastic choice - although usually in the $600 range from what I've seen.

Thanks all. What I figured - 5 responses and 5 diff opinions....lol. Keep 'em coming though. I like to especially read people's reasons for their favorite(s).

I have had 2 BF's but they are the only fish I could not get to eat - both of them (not together of course). NYA has a nice Imperador changing as well which I am considering. Peter your navarchus is a beautiful fish. Queens are ok but from what I have heard on the more aggressive side so staying away from one.

I also do like flagfins. IMO I like the bright coloring more than the goldflake regardless of even the fact that they are much less $. Thinking of the emp and flagfin from NYA to add together.

Are scribbles hardy in comparison to an emp or annularis?

Do some searches of this and the reef fish forum. I think you'll find the general consensus that emps, BF's, and queens get aggressive.

I don't think Chaetodontoplus angels are as hardy as most Pomacanthus angels.

I've always planned on building a reef around a xmas island emp in my future, but Goldflakes and Scribbled angels have started to grow on me. Good luck!

+1 on the Navarchus, absolutely stunning fish, and much less aggressive than an emperor.

+1 on Navarchus too, especially since you don't have other large angels that could harass it. It's one of the least aggressive angel but definitely not a push-over. My is pretty timid but guards his territory very well.

I keep mine with my regal angel and they get along perfectly.

Only one ?? Man that's tough. But I guess it would have to be a emperor. That fish is responsible for me dumping thousands in this hobby 20 years ago. Like stated it likes to show its dominance. Good luck.

Asfur's got the double streamers (only a queen can match that) but it's silhouette is much more pleasing to the eye compared to the queen angels' bulbous eyes. However, its colours are much more subdued. Doesn't grow all that fast too, as i've yet to see an asfur with juvi colours.

My 2 cents.

I couldn't decide so I added a few angels.....

Queen angel is also my favorite however like stated to much attitude for your tank. Is your tank 6ft or 8ft long? 6ft no.... 8ft might work.. I often wonder if my 475g is to small...... Lots of attitude.

Blue face is a great choice. They also get large but have much much less attitude vs a queen. Great colors... Get pretty big

I considered the annularus, scribbled and a few others and was concerned about how the angels attitudes would mix since a queen angel is what my tank centers around. Queen, blue face, passer and emperor are what I went with

I couldn't decide so I added a few angels.....

Queen angel is also my favorite however like stated to much attitude for your tank. Is your tank 6ft or 8ft long? 6ft no.... 8ft might work.. I often wonder if my 475g is to small...... Lots of attitude.

Blue face is a great choice. They also get large but have much much less attitude vs a queen. Great colors... Get pretty big

I considered the annularus, scribbled and a few others and was concerned about how the angels attitudes would mix since a queen angel is what my tank centers around. Queen, blue face, passer and emperor are what I went with
Excellent.

BFs are definitely up there with queens and emperors on agression. But for your tank, it's the fish i would go with. They are awesome! Once mine hit that 6" mark his agression increased a lot, make sure if you do multiple angels its the last.

Regals are awesome too, just get one thats eating at the LFS. We have been very lucky with the regals that have come in lately, all eating well out of the gate.

Flagfins are great too, and mine never exhibited agression toward anyone but themselves, which was minor. Hardy, flashy, stay relatively small and do well with more than one in a tank.

Regal or Emperor Angelfish.

BTW: Can one of these be added to a 72 Gallon?

Which is more docile?

Back