I'm watching my largest and oldest acro colony RTN.... Suggestions?

Did you by chance and any new acro's to your tank?

I had an issue once where I forgot to dip and acro and it came in with the acro eating worms. Started doing the same thing to my oldest acros. I ended up putting pipe fish in the tank and they ate the worms. Coral bounced back after that.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Yeah. It happens. Can't always pinpoint why either. Sometimes a colony just gets so big that it doesn't get enough flow deep in the colony which will begin to stress it and once that sets in, normal bacterial infection can just consume the entire colony quickly. I recently lost two colonies roughly 18-20" across each at the widest point. Both started necrosing from the middle of the main trunk. And both stopped once there was about 1" left on a few branches. I usually just do a couple big water changes and run some poly filter for a week and stuff bounces back. It's hard to keep huge colonies like that happy. Even with a ton of flow they tend to develop dead spots deep in the middle or base. No guarantee it was a pest or a errant parameter. Sometimes it's just life in captivity. Even when you see videos detailing Sanjays's tank or Paletta's huge tanks, you'll see the occasional RTN'd colony tucked among the bunch that doesn't get mentioned in the video.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

I have the exact same thing going on too. A chunk of green stag that I have had for over a decade has gone that way. I fragged 3 bits for survival and sure as hell it had red bugs. Doing an interceptor treatment tonight.

I also see you are an FL dude too. PM me if you are interested in pursuing the same course of action. I may be able to assist..

What a bummer, I had a similar experience with a large Hawkins colony. Food for thought is leave it in place and mount frags to the top, you can get much more natural reef building than that...

Back