In the market to replace/upgrade my return. Please help with suggestions

ojonas81

I am in the market to do a return pump upgrade. There are a couple of reasons for this.

1. Want more flow than my current return
  2. Current return pump have started to show signs of rust after just over a year of use
  3. Current pump constantly get stalled due to the impeller fusing with the ceramic parts and won't turn regardless of how often I clean it.

The main reason is that I want/need to push more water through my return. I currently have a RLSS Waveline DC-6000 2nd generation DC pump which is rated for up to 1500 GPH (a number I am not sure I trust). The pump was originally bought in may of last year but has only been running for little over a year. The fact that it already is rusting is not a good sign. I also need more flow as the original idea was to feed reactors and a remote fuge with it too. I had to skip the reactors as there was no way there would be enough flow for that and also get a decent turnover from the DT. I am feeding the fuge at the moment with it but would like more water going through it that what I currently have.

I would like to stay with a DC pump if possible as I like to lack of sound and the control I can have over it as well as the power savings.

I am not that familiar with the pump market in this segment so please help me out. Thanks!

I am also thinking to replace my return pump. At this moment i have the Water Blaster HY-5000 for 3 years already without a single issue. Thinking to get the new DC RODC 5500 which have a 2 year warranty but haven't find any reviews yet.

Assume you are running as a submerged pump? Or no? Thought these pumps were essentially all plastic. There are only a small handful of things you cannot afford to have fail, and the main pump is one IMO. I use sicce for all my submerged pump needs and panworld for my externals. Very reliable!

+1

assume you are running as a submerged pump? Or no? Thought these pumps were essentially all plastic. There are only a small handful of things you cannot afford to have fail, and the main pump is one imo. I use sicce for all my submerged pump needs and panworld for my externals. Very reliable!

I am in the market to do a return pump upgrade. There are a couple of reasons for this.

1. Want more flow than my current return
  2. Current return pump have started to show signs of rust after just over a year of use
  3. Current pump constantly get stalled due to the impeller fusing with the ceramic parts and won't turn regardless of how often I clean it.

The main reason is that I want/need to push more water through my return. I currently have a RLSS Waveline DC-6000 2nd generation DC pump which is rated for up to 1500 GPH (a number I am not sure I trust). The pump was originally bought in may of last year but has only been running for little over a year. The fact that it already is rusting is not a good sign. I also need more flow as the original idea was to feed reactors and a remote fuge with it too. I had to skip the reactors as there was no way there would be enough flow for that and also get a decent turnover from the DT. I am feeding the fuge at the moment with it but would like more water going through it that what I currently have.

I would like to stay with a DC pump if possible as I like to lack of sound and the control I can have over it as well as the power savings.

I am not that familiar with the pump market in this segment so please help me out. Thanks!

Stay away from chinese DC pump, they are same.

There are no cheap well build DC pump in the market. if u really want DC pump, u can consider the following,
Aquabee up8000/11000
Red dragon 3
Abyzz A100

I learned that lesson the hard way. Never skimp on equipment, especially the important one like the return pump. Had the same happening with the Jebao WP40 and WP25. What a piece of crap. Now running MP40 and feel much better.

Anyway, I need a submerged return pump as much setup is not made for an external pump at this point.

Stay away from chinese DC pump, they are same.

There are no cheap well build DC pump in the market. if u really want DC pump, u can consider the following,
Aquabee up8000/11000
Red dragon 3
Abyzz A100

DC is not a requirement, just like the low level of noise they have.

Laguna Max-Flo; same pump a well known company [mentioned above] sells for more $$$ with a fancy cover.

Thanks everyone.

How about the flow. I would like to get an significant upgrade there as well since I am feeding a remote fuge plus two reactors with the return. Today my return is only feeding the fuge as there are not enough power left for the reactors.

Sorry if I missed a head number, so I will be general.

Laguna are solid. Tunze are solid and quiet. Mag pumps are very reliable and affordable. Ehiem are always a good choice if you don't need much head.

Lots of choices out there, but I might suggest that you go with reliability over every other consideration.

I had a Chinese DC pump (coralife) quit on me after 5 months. They were REALLY good about replacing it, but I still don't trust it.

Yea one pump for everything is easier to manage and takes up less room however if that pump fails you have nothing as a backup.

I would suggest using two pumps, get one properly sized for your main tank. I do not know the size but you only need to turn that over 2-5 times a hour. Then get a second pump to power the other stuff..... if the main pump fails or needs serviced you have a backup pump to run the tank.......

I haven't jumped on the DC bandwagon yet due to the pumps being to new. I did jump on the octopus bubbleblaster bandwagon and have rust inside the impeller cap..... the waterblaster pump I use as a return has no rust

As states Sicce's Syncra pumps are silent.... depending on your tank size and flow using two of these would be as quiet as your DC pump. I purchased a syncra 2.5 to help me with water changes.... solid little pump!!

MAG are on the noisy side.... I wouldn't get one & I own 2 :(

Red Dragon, Laguna, Fluval Sea all use the same basic block and are all excellent choices. I have a red dragon and Laguna (never played with the Fluval version yet) which are silent and very powerful!!!!

Thanks everyone for the suggestions. Guess I should have included information regarding the head loss as well to give a better idea. I don't have a lot of head to deal with, maybe 4-5 feet total but there are some turns in my PVC piping that probably will add to the loss. Best is probably to include a picture to show what we are dealing with pipe-wise.

_MG_0167.jpg

Hope that will give at least some idea on what we are dealing with here. The sump does unfortunately not look this clean today. Wish it would.

I am looking for a DC pump not because of noise but because electric rates here are scheduled for a 37% increase! I presently have a Reeflow Yahoo that has served me well but uses 268watts. I need a substantial pump that can handle 13 feet of head. Where in the US can you get an Aquabee or an Abyzz?

Back