Interesting 4000gal tank of Mr.4000

That is one awesome tank. I'm just trying to imagine all the possibilities with a tank that size.

When you get a chance I'd like to hear more about how you set it up: Problems you encountered, how you chose your equipment. Did you keep a logbook during the setup?

Rick

Wow!
And my builder looked at me funny when I told him and the architect that I wanted the family room floor beefed up to support a 500g tank :D That's still a way's off in the future but at least the floor is ready ;)

Mr.4000 [welcome]

I am the Snailman that was refered to over on Reefland. My tank is only 400 gallons and it is a plywood box with a pond liner in it not concrete. It sits on the floor in the basement. I love it becaue you can see the whole thing whout looking through anything but water. :)

2 tangs, Uh Oh, thats a big no no!!
lol.gif

WOW, what a tank, I guess I'll have to build one after I make my first million!
lol.gif

Mr. 4000, Great tank, and I hope you get many, many years of enjoyment from it. If I am ever in your neck of the woods you'll have to invite me over for a swim!!

WELCOME TO RC

Hiya Mr.4000...guess you could say a picture's worth 1000words eh?:D Very nice, hope to see you around more at RC.

Q!!!

Well, I think there is a lesson to be learned here: Trust.
We are all interested in duplicating natural reefs, and we
come to this board to learn from other hobbyist as opposed to "Experts" like Sprung or Leng and others who for as all we know could be bought and paid for by the pet industry.
I trust what I read from true hobbyis much more than what I read in FAMA or other trade journals. That is the beauty of the internet.

I have very little trust when it comes to my reef. PPL on boards can make things up or give bad advice knowingly or unknowingly. LFS can give good or bad advice somme ppl promote there product. I will take all advice and may try it but not blindly. But there are ppl like RonS and RobT who help and there advice usually saves you $$. When something cost $$ I usually question it. Spend xx of $$ and it will improve your reef. Then another guy will say you don't need that feed more your get the same results. I opt to save my $$ the less I add or do the better my reef looks. As long as my cal,alk and salinity are up to par its all good I was a iodide,strotium, anything I can add doser once before never again

wow!

You prolly have a glass-bottom boat for guided tours too. :D

I would assume a tank of that proportion has it's own footings?

E.

Howdy,

I don't think that trust in the tank was the total issue debated on the other board. The main issue that was being discussed was the benefits of magic mud/calaurpa run system vs. std. berlin.

I don't think that the same rules apply for a 4000g tank as they do for a 40g tank. The magnitude of live rock and water amount accounts for a lot more natural filtration that you can possibly get in a 40g. The number of fish is not going to be by proportion larger than the 40g, so you can get away with a lot less filtration. I think that w/ the sand bed as large as he has and the rock amount that is present in this tank that 'no filtration' (post break in) would likely work wonders.

That said, I am drooling over that tank. ;)

Cheers,
Matthew

Welcome aboard! Sweet! So besides the initatial set-up costs. What are the costs of keeping that thing running. Electric and water bills? eric

That is a huge tank. I'm having trouble understanding one of the pictures. In the picture where the upper half of your body is visible, where is the lower half of your body?

That's definitely my dream tank!!! One that is big enough to snorkel/scuba in!!! Mr.4000, your living my dream tank!

Cool pics! Can't wait to see the progress.

Thx.

Rob

mengerin,

This tank appears to be set up in a similar manner to that of your typical hobbyists reef tank (lots of LR, Miracle Mud, etc). All of the ratios appear to be similar to that set up by your average hobbyist as well (just on a larger scale obviously). Assuming that it will be stocked in a similar ratio and manner that a typical 100g or so reef tank would be then I don't see any reason to ascertain that he could "get away with a lot less filtration."

If he was to put maybe 3 fish in the tank and a few corals then maybe your theory could hold, but otherwise it's just a larger scaled version of what the majority of the members on this board maintain.

I know someone in Hawaii who is in the beginning stages of an outdoor 1,193,000 gal. Tank/pond dimensions: 250'long x 80' wide x 8' deep. Yes those are feet! The area is 1/2 acre. It will be stocked entirely with captive-bred animals, corals, rock, and sand. The project is in the planning stages now and should be done in 2-3 years. With any luck he will let me dive in it.

Back