Intro

HASTINGSRJ

Well I am getting ready to head over to Okinawa for 2 years at the end of December. Just looking for some info on the local LFS's there. I am not entirely sure exactly where I will be on Okinawa yet. Currently I am trying to sell off everything in my 90 gallon tank now. I will most likely be picking up a biocube for my trip over there, since I will be in the barracks I dont want anything huge. Any info on Okinawa is greatly appreciated. Thanks in advance

rob

oh, I know in most foreign countries the power is 220v, what is it in Okinawa, on the Marine bases there? Thanks

Welcome!
It should be standard 110, I'm on Kadena AB though. There are a couple of Marines in the forum and one Retired, though this place is slow to respond most time.
As far as equipment, I would bring as much as you can, most american stuff you need to have shipped here. There are a few good LFS around Kadena and Foster, if you get stationed on Hansen up north I am not sure if there are many around.
Are you air wing?

thanks for the info, I think I am gonig to Kinser when I get there....I am trying to find out exactly where they are gonig to put me. I am going to MLG over there, CLR 37

Jeremy has a beautiful tank.

oh, and a bit of great news for my friends here.. I am on oki for another 4 years... my IPCOT got approved!

hmmm, maybe I should try and talk the wife into a bigger tank. lol.

hahahaha thats awesome john! I am still waiting to here about mine. i thought fish aren't allowed in the barracks, i know that goes for the marines.

hahahaha, I assure you my disructive days are over.....lol.... I will be in the Staff barracks....I think we get a bit of leway...

Jeeze it's like watching the pot call the kettle black!

Army, Marine... both of ya'll are nothing but trouble!

LOL!

lol, well since I am a cook I would say thats right..lol

So how are the fish stores on Okinawa? expensive at all?

The fish stores here are very expensive.....comparatively speaking.......for marine stuff. They are more into freshwater aquariums.....always want what you don't have. They do sell some marine things, but they are 2 to 3 times the cost of what you can buy them for now. One of the stores either just went under or moved too.....anyone know what happened to Da Vivid? Also, if you can bring a large tank as part of your HHG....i would do so. Even if you do not set it up yourself....you can certainly sell it here to someone who will. There is a complete shortage of anything bigger than a 75 gallon. If you could get ahold of a 125 or a 90 even, and have it packed up and shipped.....you would be well off.....either to use it yourself or sell it to someone else. I only have 11 months left and 9 of them are about to be spent here in the hot part of the world.....then I am retiring. Just wanted to give you some helpful advice from my experiences here. Basically, bring all you think you will need and want to setup your tank....it will be much easier. The livestock and rock will be the cheap part here, but supplies are very limited.....and often not the brand or quality you may desire. Protein skimmers.....I have only seen a Red Sea Prism for sale and they wanted about $300 for it....jsut to give you a for instance. Okinawa is a fabulous place for a marine aquarist.....as long as you bring or get your own supplies.

Thank you for the info Patrick. I would love to bring my 90 over there, but I dont think thats going to work in a barracks room. And I am coming unaccompanied. So a bio cube will have to do for now. I would love to leave my 90 set up here, but my wife wont take care of it while I am gone. No worries though, when I get back I plan on getting a big tank, 180-225. Soo, is it safe to assume that if I take up diving I can catch my own livestock?

not legally. some folks do though.
it is illegal to use scuba gear in conjunction with fishing, and coral harvesting is forbidden.

that said... if you go to many spots on island during low tide you can catch the fish stuck in tide pools without scuba... and pick frags that have been broken off.

some others probably have better info. but that is the best to my knowledge

Back