Inverters, Generator's and Whole House Generators OH MY

moondoggy4

Team RC
So summer is coming again and as they say, It is going to get hot. I am not sure if we will experience what happened last August, but my A/C ran 24/7 and struggled to keep up.:mad2:

So with the new solar mandate that the electric companies are following and that they do not work so well at night I am concerned with brownouts. I did not experience any last August but lots of people did.

I have a Champion 2000 watt inverter and I had to use it once for a semi-planned power outage for repairs, the inverter worked great, but it will not fire up a central air unit.

So I am kicking around the idea of going with a Whole House Generator, so maybe people can chime in with either their personal experience or thoughts.
I saw about 3 pages of 1-star reviews with the Generac Whole House, I am not sure if it is because of faulty install, bad C/S bad parts etc.

Check out the natural gas generators that kick on if your power kicks off

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I thought about getting a natural gas whole house generator but ended up getting some Tesla powerwalls to kick on when power runs out, also my solar will charge the batteries during the day so I can run the basics to keep the tank running in case of an extended outage

I'm halfway with solar already. just need some batteries.

Natural gas generator is good too. a year or two ago, I read OrionN's tanks got wiped during natural disaster. gas generator kicked in, but either the city or friendly neighbors shut off the emergency shutoff valve.

A small gasoline generator is more than enough to power most tanks basic essentials for a day or two.

I just got solar, but I couldn't justify the price of the powerwalls. Way too expensive for what they are and how long they will power your home IMO.

I am producing about 1,000 kwh a month now so net zero should be nice.

A small gasoline generator is more than enough to power most tanks basic essentials for a day or two.

I just got solar, but I couldn't justify the price of the powerwalls. Way too expensive for what they are and how long they will power your home IMO.

I am producing about 1,000 kwh a month now so net zero should be nice.

I'm at 1030 kWh monthly. What's your home uptake? Didn't even brake -20 kWh usage for May.

I'm at 1030 kWh monthly. What's your home uptake? Didn't even brake -20 kWh usage for May.

I thought about getting a natural gas whole house generator but ended up getting some Tesla powerwalls to kick on when power runs out, also my solar will charge the batteries during the day so I can run the basics to keep the tank running in case of an extended outage

The whole house generators cost same or more from what I've seen. Plus, I hear batteries are coming down in price but with all the supply chain disruption not sure that'll last.

Got 1020+ kwh in May. No AC yet and no heaters or MH so banked some cash, lol. BTW DWP/Comed etc are challenging net metering and even have a bill in the legislature to increase fees.

The whole house generators cost same or more from what I've seen. Plus, I hear batteries are coming down in price but with all the supply chain disruption not sure that'll last.

Got 1020+ kwh in May. No AC yet and no heaters or MH so banked some cash, lol. BTW DWP/Comed etc are challenging net metering and even have a bill in the legislature to increase fees.

Of course they are, what a SCAM.

Thanks, everyone that chimed in, I do not have solar on my house, I keep thinking I am moving out of state, but the wife does not want to. After last August with state at record levels of electric usage and the fact that PUC is not only just shutting off the electric plants but they are removing them as well. So if we hit critical mass it will take years to dig ourselves out, this is my profound fear, so unless you have a good solar/battery system and live on the coast you could be in for some very hot nights sleeping.

Last April by AC was down and you could not keep the house below 85 degrees, it was hotter inside at 9 Pm than outside.

I either going to go with a portable system like dual 3k Honda's or a Kohler stationary unit. I have a small house but it gets hot here in the summer.

The elec. companies are constantly trying to renegotiate the deal on solar for people, they tried for a 50 dollar surge charge but failed. They are one signature away from getting it done.

No regrets on our whole house Briggs and Stratton unit. When we were in the market, it was between Kohler, Generac, and Briggs. Went with Briggs because it was the only one at the time that had a 400 amp transfer switch that was designed for 2x200 amp sub panels. Don't think you could go wrong with any of them. Solar + batteries would be cool, but I can't imagine how large ($$$) of a system we'd need with a monthly draw of 3500 kwh.

I just went to my local farm equipment type store, and they have two Honda 3000 for 4782 dollars including tax.

For that price I would swing for the EU7000iS. Not sure if you'll be able to run the main AC to the house but portable AC would be no problem. I use the Harbor Freight Predador 3500 for a 15,000 BTU portable AC unit in the garage all summer and no issues with starting power. Would be even easier with the Honda EU7000iS.

Too funny

Too funny

Because my dumb butt asked if the price quote was for one. Lol. They go for about$2300 each. It was supposed to mean ignore my post that I changed.

Yeah, it was for two, I did not get a quote for a 7000 model though, I will get that next week, I guess the mary jane growers like to buy them fast from the shop, so they may be gone by Weds.

Back