Is an Anemone worth it?

saltreef creep

My tank is right at a year old and I have been battling with the decision to add an anemone to my tank. I have a 75 gal display and currently have 14 pieces of lps that are doing great. I love the look of the anemone but am struggling to pull the trigger on purchasing one as I have read both great and horrible stories about having them. I need honest opinions on this. Please help

If you are asking here in this subforum if they are worth it, then be prepared for a whole lot of "yes's"... :)

Of course the species you are considering makes a big difference, so you might want to post that up...

I think you have to ask yourself if you're in this hobby more for the corals or for the fish.

I have two RBTAs and couldn't imagine having clownfish without an anemone. I also keep a few easy corals. I like corals a lot, but I'm more drawn to observing fish behavior. I wouldn't be devastated if I lost a coral to an anemone's movement. Not that I wish for or would like it, either.

My anemones both moved a few times and have since stayed put without harming anything. I know this may change. I've only had them about six months.

Good luck.

Last edited:
Having a pair of clown fish and their host anemone can be to most rewarding experience you may have as a reefer. Clown fish and anemone was what got me into reef keeping more than 35 years ago, and it still is the one thing that keep me having at least one aquarium ever-since.
Unhappy anemone will move any lay waste to the corals that they craw over. Puree of a more potent anemone will wipe your tank out so you got to research and know how to keep them happy.

this is the anemone forum, so most people will say hell yeah and get one! i say get one.

once i began getting more high end zoas and acros i had to cross most of the anemone species off the list. i do keep 2 rock flower anemone that keep me happy.

Many anemone keepers keep anemones in a reef tank.

The only anemone that can be a danger to fish are the carpet anemones. S. haddoni and S. gigantea (I have no experience with S. mertensii). All the other host anemone post little risk for fish. If any fish get eaten by other host anemones, they are most likely sick and about to die.

Host anemone needs are well know. If you provide them what they need, they will not move.

Is an Anemone worth it?

What horrors are you referring to? I got my haddoni (see avatar) 5 years ago and he only eats snails that cross his path. No issues.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Clowns and anemone's symbiotic relationship are what got me in this hobby in the first place so of course they are worth any extra effort IMO, just keep in mind all anemone's are not the same, placement, care needs, wandering issues all vary among species.
Also I prefer a natural clown and host anemone match for best results in accepting a host.

I'm not the OP, but I have also been toying with getting an anemone. I have a citron goby who likes to be hosted by my LPS and zoas. My fear is that he would be a snack the first time he tried to make himself comfortable in the nem. Is that an issue?

I'm not the OP, but I have also been toying with getting an anemone. I have a citron goby who likes to be hosted by my LPS and zoas. My fear is that he would be a snack the first time he tried to make himself comfortable in the nem. Is that an issue?
They know not to get into an anemone.

Reading this forum, I think an anemone will only be as good or bad as your husbandry skills.

Personally think it is a joy to watch clowns in their anemone, even though my clowns still prefer the weir to the bta i have. I am not actively trying to "force" the clowns to find the nem.
I have torch corals, toadstool, bubble and zoa corals.
Friend of mine has two gigantea, carpet and a few bta in his tank [12 footer]. I am waiting for the gigantea to split again as he has given me the option to adopt if my Elos 120 is up to the job. Which is down to me to prove ...

Take a look at this one.

<iframe width="853" height="480" src="https://www.youtube.com/embed/iqxRl9KKuLY" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

Without a doubt that it worth it. If these pictures does not get you excited about anemone and clowns, then nothing will.

Here is a H. malu with A. ocellaris.

H.%20malu.jpg

H. magnifica with SnowOnyx A. perculaXocellaris
IMG_0911.jpg

Two S. haddoni with A. percula
picture.php

Reading this forum, I think an anemone will only be as good or bad as your husbandry skills.

Well, your husbandry skills can be fine but you can not always control everything, and animals will decide whether they act like they are supposed to or not.
Your choice of anemone could be a factor, and make sure your tank provides for it's needs best as you can, like I said, each species has very different needs and characteristics.

This ...

Your choice of anemone could be a factor, and make sure your tank provides for it's needs best as you can, like I said, each species has very different needs and characteristics.

... is what I should have written. Thanks Dave

OrionN, my friends anemone is indeed a magnifica.

Back