Is it just me or......

Tajjo

Is the economy realy putting a hurt on our hobby this bad? I have been going through all the threads, and it appears that there arnt many new threads if any. Also I remember in general reef discussion if you made a thread you'd better mark the thread or else it's nearly impossible to find it.

This economy is such a bummer. I wish things were better for everyone. I pull up rc 3-6 times a day and there's rarely anything new.

How's this economy going for you?

EDIT:
Do not post here only to drive traffic off site.

Last edited by a moderator:
Nope, the economy is that bad. I've been laid off from what used to be a great job for working on a year now. Even the folks who are still working are scared they are next.

It's a great hobby, but it voraciously eats discretionary cash. I was lucky my tank was at a nice spot for just maintaining when it all hit the fan, and even that can cost a bunch.

I agree with pherbert..the economy is really bad. I am a mechanic and not doing good. after december of last year, my business (income) has declined by half. I have been forcably laid-off at one place (cut pay so bad i couldn't even afford to show up anymore), another place was so dead that i couldnt afford to stay and the place i am at now is idling along (pun intended) ok, but not near our potential.
there have been a lot of tank sell-offs that i noticed recently. I will be one of those soon because we are forced to move soon because the house lost too much value and cant see being able to rebound from that in the foreseeable future.

Screwed me up pretty bad i was working for a tire recycler and the state cut all our funding for the tire recycling business in Colorado and we all got laid off this past september.

What amazes me is how quick things sell off when someone takes there tank down. In the good old days it must have been all sold off in 10 min..

Hopefully things bounce back soon. If there's a silver lining for me, it forced me to take college courses and work towards a bachelor’s degree

I've been laid off since April 28, 2009. I've sent over 1000 resumes across this entire country - from Maine to California and from N. Dakota to Texas. Not even a SCREW YOU response from any of them.

Unemployment is gonna run out in May. I'm barely buying salt right now and that electric bill is pretty expensive. I've cut my lights back from 10hrs to 7hrs a day on my tanks to try and save money. It's saving me $25 a month to reduce my lighting.

Look for a tank sale in the spring .......... or 5 tanks I should say. :sad2:

That's terrable to hear fellas I wish there was something we could do. I work for my dad, he has contracts with home depot, lowes, floor and decor and were slow. He had 32 crews working under him in 2002 each doing 4-6 jobs a week, now the numbers have dwindled so much it's just my dad and brothers and myself now. Unfortunately for me I made a bunch of wrong decissions in high school.

If worst comes to worst for me I think I'll severly downsize and perhaps sell all but a frag of my favorite corals.

I forgot to add I'm playing catch up with my mortgage, since my old mortgage company was Tb&w and went under distributing all of it clients to 3 other companies. At that point we wernt able to make our mortgage since nobody knew where it was going. After that we went through 2 more companies before we got settled in with the current company whom is handeling our mortgage.

+1 if I could live without an aquarium, they would be gone. After 20+ years its just not an option, I would go crazy without water noise. I definitely don't spend the money I used to.

It's makeing me wonder if I should proceed with the showpiece/centerpiece that I have on lay away lol! It's the sweetest welso I've seen. I'll have to show you guys. It's a sweet piece. I'll have to wait till I get another computer I do pretty much everything on my iPhone since my comp went out.

Back