Is it ok to put more than one dwarf angel in same tank?

ok... that answered my question, thanks all.

Which of these three is the most reef safe?

They arent. Angels pick at the hard surfaces in a tank.

personally I have coral beauty and softies. it leaves the softies alone and that is an experience that many people have had on this site. But if you want SPS then just steer clear of the dwarf angels.

They arent. Angels pick at the hard surfaces in a tank.

personally I have coral beauty and softies. it leaves the softies alone and that is an experience that many people have had on this site. But if you want SPS then just steer clear of the dwarf angels.

I won't be getting SPS, just soft, and maybe polyps and LPS.

I have a coral beauty in my 120 gal. softie/lps tank, and it doesn't bother any coral. I tried to add an eibli and the cb killed it within two days. if your dead set on two, I would add them together, but I think one is enough. cb's are thought to be the safest with coral, but each fish is different.

I am going to have to disagree with the "no" that were posted above.

My current tank is a 75, which has a piece of egg crate dividing it in half. (( We are currently in the process of having a house built, so I took down all but one of my tanks. This tank is at my mother-in-laws holding the fish that I kept )). One half of it has a Coral Beauty and a Flame. The other half has a Flameback and an C. venustus; along with a pair of clowns and a goby. This tank has been set up this way for about 5 months now -- no issues.

Prior to this, the Coral Beauty and Flame were in my 65 (( along with a multicolored that didn't survive the move )). They were in that tank for approximately 4 years. The Flameback and C. venustus, were in my 210.

Have been mixing dwarfs for about 12 years now, using an acclimation box helps a great deal. The one issue I did have was mixing a Potters and Golden -- the Potters hated the Golden. But, I had a back up plan and moved to a cube.

Some older videos of my older tanks,

<iframe width="640" height="360" src="https://www.youtube.com/embed/_-Ma1xsjMTY" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

<iframe width="480" height="360" src="https://www.youtube.com/embed/4unLK5Doh8c" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

I also say coral beauties are just fine in your tank size. I've successfully had one in a small red sea max 34 with coral and I have one in my larger tank now. I do not have SPS and don't think I want them! I'm fine with soft stuff. My coral beauty seems happy and he eats frozen food. They stay small.

I have a reef book with true factual info rather than peoples opinions. Min tank size is 30 gallons. They should get to an aprox max size of 3.9 inches. That being said they may be more prone to be territorial or nippy to inverts/clams/etc.. the smaller the tank is. Larger is preferred...as with any fish. Books states to feed up to 3 times a day if your tank is not well seasoned /established or if you don't have much microalgae growth. Should be safe with soft corals and crusacaeons. Can be nippy at stony coral or inverts. Hardy fish. Cheap. Book is from 2005 I believe. Reef aquarium fishes guide. 430 pages of info that has helped me as I build our new tank.

I've kept more than one dwarf angel in a 75 gal on a few occasions. Depends a bit on how open the aquascape is; and what other fish you keep. None of them are completely reef safe - 'with caution' is how most of the sellers describe them. Some pick, some do not. Other folks experiences are essentially useless.

I also have 2 dwarf angels in the same tank without too much problem. The bigger one does chase the smaller one sometimes, but he also chases the coris wrasse, the springer's damsel, and the clown around as well, so maybe he's just an a$$.

As for being reef safe, I never had a problem with either dwarf angels, but I guess it's something you need to watch for. I have mostly lps and soft corals, with a few leathers and a small frag of sps (birdsnest). It's also important to note that:
1. Corals can die randomly for no apparent reason (especially sps). Just because your coral is not doing well doesn't mean the angel is eating it.
2. Dwarf angel forage for food picking picking at (kissing) surfaces. This includes glass, rocks and even corals. If you see a dwarf angel picking at a coral, they are probably just picking off small scraps of food off the coral rather than eating the coral itself.

I've kept multiple angels together in reef tanks with all kinds of corals without any problems. You do need to QT the angels together and introduce them at the same time. Once established you will be incredably lucky to introduce another dwarf angel and not have it killed by the established angel(s).

Back