Is it possible to put corals/livestock into an aquarium before cycling is complete?

Thierry05

Okay, now I understand that this is a frequently asked question sometimes but I've been looking through posts and I cannot seem to get an answer that apply's to me.

I have already had a reef aquarium before, but I never was Succsessful, and at the moment my aquarium is covered in Caulerpa which is hard to remove and suffocated my Zoanthids (I have only attempted to ever have 3 corals in total in this tank, for I was too busy controlling problems. Most, if not all of this, was just because of the live rock, it was quite full of different pests, including Zoanthid-eating Nudibranches, and I do not want to use live rock again, for I'd rather control what I'd have with dry rock. So I am going to throw away everything in the tank like the sand and live rock and I am going to start again (keeping the equipment and my brittle star).

My closest aquarium store that has reef supplies/livestock is reasonably far away, and it would use a lot of fuel to get there and back twice. Most of the supplies like a skimmer and new sand, dry rock I already have. I want to be able to get some water for filling up the aquarium, at least a couple of corals and maybe a cleaner shrimp to start off with (although I could possibly get the last thing later) and I'd rather do the whole thing in one trip for it is much more convenient for me. So I was wondering - if I boiled the dry rock, put in some live sand and some fresh salt water from my local reef store, got a filter and a skimmer, tested the water often, got some activated carbon filters just in case things go out of hand, would it be possible to add some corals/possible livestock straight after setup?? My tank is a 7 (US) gallon tank.

Thanks

Also: if most answers point to it not being possible I do have the patience to wait a bit longer so I can travel back later to get corals and livestock, its just it would be much less convenient than doing it this way for its quite a large distance to go.

Are you going to buy a ro/di unit? If not, you will be making lots of trips to somewhere to get your water.

If you must buy it all together, in one trip and you have a way to make water, you could set up a tank separate from your main system, like a qt/hospital tank. You would need to do pretty frequent water changes, to keep your livestock alive.

IMO, you'd spend more money on the water and salt to keep that stuff alive while the main dt and system cycles than you would on fuel to make a second trip

I have already had a reef aquarium before, but I never was Succsessful.

if you want success, it is best to stick to the best practices and not to short cut anything. it sounds like you're already suffering the ramifications of some bad choices.

do it by the book, your patience will be rewarded.

^^ That right there. Cutting corners in this hobby rarely pays off, even less so without much prior success and experience.

For a practical reason, beyond hyperbole, the cycle is to build up the bacteria that can process chemicals harmful to fish. Specifically ammonia, which can burn the fishes gills and/or kill them. Putting them in an uncyled tank puts them at unnecessary risk.

The small size of the tank means it is extremely hard to manage in the first place. you have to be particularly attentive to alkalinity, salinity, and temperature. This means either an ATO on your scale or daily topoff.

Frankly at this scale, it would be worth it to discard all sand and rock and start over completely, with live sand and conditioned rock free of caulerpa.

Yeah I agree with skater. I went through a similar disappointment earlier in the months had my tank been smaller I would have started over with new rock etc. But instead I only ended up completely replacing my substrate from. Crushed coral to medium grain sand. And removing all the pests from my rock by either brushing them off with a tooth brush or chizleing them out with a screwdriver. With a 7g. Get 10 lbs of new live sand. Get a good chunk of well inspected live rock....and if you see anything pop up deal with it before it's too late. But just having a 10g QT has made me realize I am glad I have a 36g DT as they aren't joking when they are saying the smaller the tank the more likely the system is to fluctuate in water temp and salinity and alk etc if not monitored properly. But it definitely is do able with the right dedication. I would recommend waiting till after the cycle to put any coral or fish in though. Specially corals and inverts as they are more vulnerable to the ammonia and nitrites

Sent from my SM-G900W8 using Tapatalk

Thank you for all your responses! I guess I might as well wait, since patience can bring better things to my tank rather than rushing, thank you all!

You should cycle first. I agree with Sk8r. The larger the tank the easier to manage. Starting fresh without caulerpa is easier than having to deal with it later on. There is no shortcut to success.
Here's my guide (IME) on starting a tank:
1.Add water
2.Add sand
3. Add LR
4. Cycle
5. Add corals
6. Cycle more...
7. Add fish
8. Done!

If you do not have patience in this hobby/passion, you will fail, you will fail. (Sorry, a little Yoda ref there). But seriously, you have to learn patience and give your tank time. The characteristics of a new hobbyist, is impatience. The characteristics of an experienced, successful hobbyist, is perseverance/patience.
Good luck and take your time.

+1 to all, glad you decided to wait and make the second trip. How far away is the fish store, by the way? I've gone to fish stores anywhere from 10 minutes away to nearly 2 hours away. When I was in Houston TX, I have about 10 choices within an hour. Now outside of Pittsburgh PA I have maybe 2 decent choices within an hour drive.

Good Luck with your setup

+1 to all, glad you decided to wait and make the second trip. How far away is the fish store, by the way? I've gone to fish stores anywhere from 10 minutes away to nearly 2 hours away. When I was in Houston TX, I have about 10 choices within an hour. Now outside of Pittsburgh PA I have maybe 2 decent choices within an hour drive.

Good Luck with your setup

It isn't really far away, but it can be a pain to get there, thanks to all again for the advice!

I had a Gelidium outbreak. I ended up replacing my rock. But what I DID do, was to muriatic acid all the rock in the tank. It kills everything, and let's you start over.

Okay, i know I'm rebooting this topic, but I was asking a question related to this in the invertebrates forum and I need input from here too, as it fits both topics. So yes, I cannot put livestock in the aquarium while cycling, but I have just redone the aquarium with new water, rock and sand and of course, its probably going to start cycling. The problem is that I worry about how my brittlestar with fare. I took her out before replacing everything and its in this small bowl. Is it okay to put her into the tank? I've been browsing other forums and some people say that they can be hardy for most nitrate and ammonia problems. The thing is, I dont really have much of a choice, I cannot really put it in any other tank because I dont have another tank. There is no one I know who could take care of her, so I am sorta stuck. should I risk putting her in the tank? shes been resillient to problems in my previous tank before, such as huge hair algae outbreaks, which I guess where caused by nitrates.

YOu can set up a qt tank at any point, and both corals and fish can live in it if it's large enough. No sand, no rock, just real frequently attended filtration, and a bare minimum of food.

i dont really have anything large enough, I guess I do have some 1 litre container, but I dont think itll help.

Okay, to some this may seem like an unusual idea, but hear me out. My brittlestar would never survive for a couple of days in this container and there is no point in risking it as its more uncertain than putting it in the tank (as I can always test for any nitrates etc when shes in the tank, so I can do a water change, while In such a small enviroment it would be so much harder to maintain) Of course, if I was going to buy livestock I would never do it this early, but as my brittlestar is a inhabitant that was originally in the tank, I dont really have a choice (as like I said earlier, there are no places nearby where another reef keeper may be able to keep it and I dont have any spare tanks). So, I shall put her in the tank, I'm currently acclimatising her as the temperature must be different. So I guess, wish me luck!

Inverts and corals are more apt to survive a cycle than fish are, with the caution that nitrates can damage corals. Ammonia, not so damaging; but nitrates, yes.

Back