Is it worth it? The quest for Gigantae

How many?

How many?

How many of the recent shipments havent made it.

Lets get a look anyone wanna fess up.

1. Reefvette - blue base green tips

They are definately not coming out of Thailand, unless they are coming out illegally, you can only export captive bred marine fish. There are many many giganteas here they are common but tend to be the pink variety, not very popular.
From personal experience I am thinking the"quest" for this species simply is not worth it, congrats to all you who have a healthy one but oh so many have perished for those ones to survive. Something best left in the ocean, thank god mertens get so big or they would be going the same way.

adtravels~

I agree. Some animals are best left in the wild. I suppose when I saw a tank full of them in my LFS, however....I thought I could give it a fair(er) shot. I know many people frown upon those that purchase a Moorish Idol, for their general lack of survivability, but somehow people don't feel the same responsibility toward an anemone? I don't know. Just pre-coffee, early morning ramblings :)

P.S. Your avatar is WICKED. I've never seen a seahorse like that! Was that off the coast of Thailand?

no I took it in borneo, look at my galley there is an origional with my finger in it the animal was about 1 inch total length.

oh here you go
113133IMG_1105.jpg

My not so gigantic Gigantea is doing fine. I've had it for about 6 weeks. It was expanding to about 3.5 inches when I got it, and now it reaches about 5 inches at times.

I updated mine in another thread. 3 weeks and doing great (IMO).

every time someone on RC shows a picture of there gigantae its always on top of rockwork. I am curious did you place them up there or did they move themslves up the rockwork?

Good luck and thanks

Both mine are still doing we'll also. The yellow is 2 months i believe. The purple 5 weeks.

My yellow is now on the rocks and went there on his own. And the purple is still on his rock that i placed him on when i bought him.
The tentacle length between the 2 is very noticable. The yellow has always had the shorter tentacles yet has darkened up very noticiably. And the Purple has always had insanely long tentacles:)
Pics:)
gigantea013.jpg

PurpleGigantea005.jpg

Back