Is SCWD very loud?

wojo

Hey,

I'm planing to add closed loop to my setup in the short future to get rid of the powerheads in my tank and i was thinking of using SCWD to make some waves. Many people in reviews complain about the noise from this thing. Is it really that loud? If so is there any other "economic" alternitive to mave making?

Thanks! :smokin:

I only heard mine softly when I first fired it up. I turned off the pump, let the air pocket escape and have not heard it since. The second one I am using I knew to do this so I never heard it.

I swear by scwd's the first one has been running over a year without a hitch.

Don't believe all the bad press out there.

speakeraddict

My scwd hasn't made a noise since day one. I will have to say that there is a significant lose of flow due to the scwd. I just saw the actual numbers and cycle times posted somewhere else on this site. I'm actually moving my RIO 1700 pump into my tank and attaching the scwd under the rock work. I figured I'd pick up a lot of GPH by having a 0' head, even is the scwd reduces the flow. It's like a close loop, only there really isn't a loop at all! Note a prefilter screen, a good hiding place, and some clear tubing is needed, but you get the advantages of a closeloop, wave action without the nasty powerheads or Tunz haning all over the glass.

My scwd hasn't made a noise since day one. I will have to say that there is a significant lose of flow due to the scwd. I just saw the actual numbers and cycle times posted somewhere else on this site. I'm actually moving my RIO 1700 pump into my tank and attaching the scwd under the rock work. I figured I'd pick up a lot of GPH by having a 0' head, even is the scwd reduces the flow. It's like a close loop, only there really isn't a loop at all! Note a prefilter screen, a good hiding place, and some clear tubing is needed, but you get the advantages of a closeloop, wave action without the nasty powerheads or Tunz haning all over the glass.

My SCWD Made a low squeaking noise for the first two days. After that it was dead silent.

HTH
Kakan

<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=6502990#post6502990 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by kakan
My SCWD Made a low squeaking noise for the first two days. After that it was dead silent.

HTH
Kakan

Same with mine. Can't hear it at all now. :)

You guys are LUCKY that your SCWD dosn't make any noise. My tank would be dead silent at night....except for my SCWD. It grinds every time it changes output...and is very noisy. In fact, my parents can hear it from thier bedroom at night with my door closed. I can usually sleep through it...but it is noisy. It has been running for about a year.....it only started makign noises a few months ago.

<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=6503951#post6503951 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by cj_basser
You guys are LUCKY that your SCWD dosn't make any noise. My tank would be dead silent at night....except for my SCWD. It grinds every time it changes output...and is very noisy. In fact, my parents can hear it from thier bedroom at night with my door closed. I can usually sleep through it...but it is noisy. It has been running for about a year.....it only started makign noises a few months ago.

Sounds like it needs to be cleaned. I clean mine about every 6 months along with my retun pump.

HTH
Kakan

Cj Basser: Remove you SCWD and soak it in Vinegar and water for about 3 hours then hook it up to a pump in the bath tub.....sounds like you have a calcium build up.......or some kind of matter stuck in it......As far as noise goes......I have 3 of them all dead silent..........2 have been running for 2 1/2 years with no problem....once a year I clean them in vinegar and water to remove calc. deposits.....the third one was in a closet after running it for a year( no problems)when I went to use it again.......it was jammed.....I soaked it for awhile.....then hook it up to a pump in the tub....and now it works fine

Back