Is there a solvent for silicone?

CeeGee

Long story short.

Setting up sump/ fuge, siliconed in all the baffles. Left over at friends house to cure. Friend calls and tells me he can bring the tank over (long drive) don't worry about coming all the way down here. I tell him I don't mind but he insists that he can get it. He breaks the tank.:( Of course all-glass no longer makes a 50 gallon (I am told by the LFS who acts a though I am bothering them) so it looks like I am going to a 40 breeder which I am not happy about.

I have cut the panes of glass out of the tank the we siliconed into place. I have a lot of silicon on the glass though and it is difficult to scrape off. I really need to reuse these as they cost a fortune.

Is there a solvent that can take the silicon off?

This is really funny because everything fell into place and was going perfectly up until this morning. I knew something had to go wrong.

Thanks for your help,
C.G.

Use a razor blade (type you can get at the hardware store). Peels the silicone off easily.

there is a soluvent that can remove silicone.....but when I removed a wall from my sump I found a razor blade to be very very easy. There is still a little residue in there, but nothign that will matter....and looks don't matter since it is a sump

Back