Is this 2 much flow for horses??

agreeive?fish

Tank is a standard 30g micro reef..(one colony polyp hense the term miro reef)

flow is (sump return pump) rated at 295 gph

korola pump modle #1 rated at 400gph

maxijet 600 (powerhead) rated at aprox 150gph

proposed seahorse(x2) would be Great seahorse (hippocampus keloggi)

Thank you

most people are going to recomend the removal of the koralia. they are not seahorse safe pumps just fyi.

see you find out something when you ask questions.. thanks for the infor(i have not got the seahorses yet..they are a future plan so i might just set up a seahorse tank with fake corals and leave my coral tank a coral tank

That might be a little to much... the minimum amount of flow you could have would be 10x the size (10x 30 gallons). Most reef tanks should have 20-30x the gallonage. i wouldnt go above 20x (20x 30 gallons). stay between 300-600 gph.

<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=14195821#post14195821 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by louie07
That might be a little to much... the minimum amount of flow you could have would be 10x the size (10x 30 gallons). Most reef tanks should have 20-30x the gallonage. i wouldnt go above 20x (20x 30 gallons). stay between 300-600 gph.

Say Louie, do you have seahorses? Have you successfully managed a reef tank? No offense, but I see you giving lots of textbook advice, but I just want to know if it's based on your experience.

Thanks.

TWallace - Koralia nanos are fine for smaller seahorse tanks. I use four Koralia powerheads up high in my 95G seahorse reef. I combine them with spraybars on the sandbed behind live rock. The female H. Redi like to play in the diffuse current of the Koralias. A healthy adult seahorse should not be "sucked into" a Koralia powerhead. You'll just want to make sure before you turn them on that they are not snooping around in front of the PH when turned off for feeding.

LL

Last edited:
<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=14195821#post14195821 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by louie07

My seahorse tank is at 47x an hour. ;) Been working with seahorses for 8 years.

They can handle flow if it is broken up, I use koralia nano's and spraybars as well as sump returns to get it there.

I haven't been under 25x turn over in a seahorse tank for 5 years. I think they do better with more flow if it is designed right.

Getting the detirtus up and out of the rocks keeps the tank cleaner, and the seahorses healthier IME.

Back