Is this acceptable replacement for Live Rotifers?

Clownfish Depot

In Memoriam
I don't have any Live Rotifers at the moment and was told about this food called Golden Pearls and that some people are using it for clownfish larvae instead of live rotifers. I picked up a bottle of it a few weeks ago just in case I needed it and now I do.
Last night I had eggs hatch so I had to use it. I guess I will find out in a few days. Hopefully the larvae survive.

Does anyone have any experience with it?

Golden Pearls do a pretty good job of staying in the water column, but still lack the motion that the larvae cue in on to feed. It'll give you the best chance of any other non live food option, but don't expect too much from it.

Tkanks for the info. I appreciate it. Seems like everyone I know is having a problem with their rotifers. I there a place you recommend I can buy some from? I am in NJ/PA/Delaware area.

Tkanks for the info. I appreciate it. Seems like everyone I know is having a problem with their rotifers. I there a place you recommend I can buy some from? I am in NJ/PA/Delaware area.

Reed Mariculture sells live rots. You can also try checking in some of the club forums for those areas, might find someone with some. Unfortunately I just moved, so I don't have any cultures going now.

good luck and let us know how it goes.

Thanks! What other first food do you use besides rotifers? I may have to get a live food back up until I get the hang of keeping rotifers alive. I thought they were suppose to be easy to take care of, but I think I may have been feeding them too much phyto.

Thanks! What other first food do you use besides rotifers? I may have to get a live food back up until I get the hang of keeping rotifers alive. I thought they were suppose to be easy to take care of, but I think I may have been feeding them too much phyto.

I do not have any. When you get yours going let me know I wouldnt mind picking some up locally...

The Golden Pearls didn't work for me. All the fry died, but on a good note I did get some new rotifers from Reeds and they are doing well.

At day 4 or 5 you can start using nhbbs, or hikari has a fry powder that I have gotten some of mine to take, but IMO, no substitute for the rotifer. In a pinch I would try frozen rotifers, but again, if they don't move right, they don't seem to find the food.

Do you use 2 containers for the rotifers? That usually works for me. I crash mine when I forget to feed them. Usually a dose with Rotigrow+ a few times a day. Difficult to overdose with food, but I suppose you could foul the water too much. And I change containers weekly. Also, if you continue to have probs, you might try adding something like ClorAm-X®.

Once you get to the nhbbs, backups on those are even more important.

HA!!! Now I know your handle :lol: I had to take my dog to see my DVM so i didn't get those samples shipped... tomorrow for sure!

Back