Is this hammer coral dead?

_ld99

Hey guys I just got a bunch of coral in the mail. It was delayed due to a mechanical error, so the corals sat in a bag for 40 hours. The hammer corals water was born and some of the coral was exposed. It also smelled like s***. Is this thing dead or just closed? I have it in an iodine dip now.

I added the picture not sure why it didn't show up.

Attachments

• 20170308_102031.jpg
    20170308_102031.jpg
    25.7 KB · Views: 0
look like it's a goner! I don't see any flesh left on it. You can try to keep it in the tank for a few days to see if anything poke out of the skeleton.

look like it's a goner! I don't see any flesh left on it. You can try to keep it in the tank for a few days to see if anything poke out of the skeleton.

Thanks for quick reply man. I called live aquaria and they said they're replacing it. I'm going to put it in a qt tank for a little but I'm pretty sure it's gone too.

I was wondering what these two flaps on the frogspawn are. Are they the mouths? I never kept a frogspawn so I'm not too sure

Attachments

• 20170308_170751.jpg
    20170308_170751.jpg
    38.7 KB · Views: 0
No, not Frogspawn mouths. Looks to me like some small hitchhiking filter feeding critter popping up.

Reef bass, i dip all of my corals in seachem reef dip for 20 minutes then revive for 5 minutes. It seems like every coral I have still has a bunch of hitchhikers such as brittle stars, feather dusters, and whatever this thing is. Not sure why but I guess they don't work for me. Do you think i should dip again or are they probably harmless filter feeders?

IME, dips don't kill everything. Many hitchhikers can be stunned to the point that they fall off or can be dislodged with vigorous agitation.

I would guess this filter feeder is probably not harmful. However, if it is spreading or irritating the coral, I would remove it manually. More dipping isn't likely to kill it.

It may eventually irritate the flesh of the hammer, heck even bayer dip kills most but not "everything". I do turkey baster blow every piece like crazy though bc some of those little nasties just don't like letting go.

Frogspawn are from the same group as Torch Corals. My Torch Corals have mouths with the clearing white feathery hand thing in the middle that pops in and out to help grasp food from the water. Completely normal, not a hitchhiker.

Attachments

• IMG_0679.jpg
    IMG_0679.jpg
    41.2 KB · Views: 0
I disagree. I have frogspawn, hammer, torch, and octospawn. The hammer I've had for years. I do macro photography on my corals. I've never seen any barnacle like filter feeding from the mouths of any Euphyllia.

I asked Google about Euphyllia mouthparts and there was no mention there either.

Can you please provide a link to anyone other than yourself who has information about these alleged "clearing white feathery hand thing"s?

If this is something I don't know, I want to learn.

Thank you.

Back