Is this Hawkins Blue bleached out?

JMurphy97

I got this last Tuesday and with my crazy work schedule I noticed today it's looking like this. I have it on the sand under a Radion. Is there anyway to save it if it is bleached?

Most of the frag looks bleached except for the base. You can either toss it or break off the dead part and see if the base recovers.

Much of it is dead, but there are still live tissue there. Dont toss it out. Hopefully a small section will live and regenerate into a frag.

Have you tested all your tank parameters to see if anything is out of place? Its pretty much impossible to save/make fast changes that saves corals. The thing with SPS corals is that if the water parameters are the cause of RTN/STN/Bleaching, then correction of those parameters must be done in a controlled fashion...which means there are no quick fixes. Moderate daily water changes do really help and is just about the only thing you can do to help your corals.

Suspending Carbon dosing/heavy GAC and GFO use if these are being used does help too.

Test all your water parameters of you havent done so. Sometimes SPS just die because they want to make us feel gutted. But generally, water parameters or use of GFO/GAC/Carbon dosing etc are the culprits.

i have several frags bleached to bone white and came back with good parameter. keep it for a few weeks and see.

All the other corals look great. I don't run GFO or carbon yet. All the parameters are in check and I run kalk in the ato. I floated the bags for 15 minutes then did a coral rx dip for 10 minutes before adding them. Good thing if though the LFS would maybe give me money back or credit for it.

That may be the problem. I have found that Hawkinsw are really sensitive to dipping. Hopefully giving it stable water some of it will recover.

Have you tested all your tank parameters to see if anything is out of place? Its pretty much impossible to save/make fast changes that saves corals. The thing with SPS corals is that if the water parameters are the cause of RTN/STN/Bleaching, then correction of those parameters must be done in a controlled fashion...which means there are no quick fixes. Moderate daily water changes do really help and is just about the only thing you can do to help your corals.

Suspending Carbon dosing/heavy GAC and GFO use if these are being used does help too.

Test all your water parameters of you havent done so. Sometimes SPS just die because they want to make us feel gutted. But generally, water parameters or use of GFO/GAC/Carbon dosing etc are the culprits.

not picking a fight, but GFO/GAC causes RTN/STN/bleaching?

the single greatest sps tank i have ever seen (reefbum) uses both, and so do I... could you elaborate why you think this is true??

Carbon dosing can definitely cause lightening and STN if overdosed and nutrients are allowed to become too low, I've done that myself. Also, overuse of GFO can strip phosphate too quickly and cause the same thing. Overuse of GAC in dirtier water can cause the water to become too clear too quickly and can cause bleaching due to the sudden increase in light penetration into the clearer water.

I think the only way GFO and GAC can cause problems is if you use too much too fast and shock the system. I've never done that personally, though so all I can do is state what I have read many times.

I have heard the same thing about hawkins being very sensitive to dipping. I have one and I examined it very closely and did not dip it and it's doing well. I got it from a very reputable reefer that I trust as well.

I would blame the dip before blaming the gac and gfo ..but gfo will do this but also to other corals not just the hawkins.. keep it till it turns green if you see the algae it is done clip the live parts and hope for the best...good luck either way

not picking a fight, but GFO/GAC causes RTN/STN/bleaching?

the single greatest sps tank i have ever seen (reefbum) uses both, and so do I... could you elaborate why you think this is true??

There is no reason I would get argumentative. Your questioning is genuine and requires an answer, if only to explain myself.

At the time of my post, the OP hadn't mentioned that he dipped the coral. Hence I was looking for possible reasons. And over use of Carbon such the the Rox type, can cause RTN/STN. Also, sudden overuse of GFO can cause RTN/STN.

I also believe in controlled use of both GAC and GFO; perhaps I wasnt clear in my previous post. But I meant sudden or overuse of either.

All the other corals look great. I don't run GFO or carbon yet. All the parameters are in check and I run kalk in the ato. I floated the bags for 15 minutes then did a coral rx dip for 10 minutes before adding them. Good thing if though the LFS would maybe give me money back or credit for it.

There are many threads on dipping the Hawkins to be the cause of RTN/STN.

I do dip deepwater/smooth skinned acros, but no way as aggressively as other types of acros. I would have dipped no more than 3 minutes.

i can agree with overuse/misuse of GFO/GAC causing bleaching. i think the dip or stress from shipping is most likely the cause...good discussion!

definitely the dip, with out question. You read it over and over here that the hawkins can not handle coral rx.

+1 def the dip. Hawkins is a pretty tough coral once established, but it absolutely hates being dipped and being exposed to air.

agree on the dip. I lost a whole mini colony from dipping it before putting it in my system. They just really don't handle the dip well at all. I wish it was more common knowledge not to dip these soft tissued acros.

You never dip smooth skin acros in rx or revive. You are taking a big risk and they are really sensitive to dips. I use Bayor insect killer on thm and it helps.

Back