Is this normal grain size for IO?

MrClean

I couldn't get Reef Crystals - which is a homogeneous, fine powder. I was surprised to see such varied crystal sizes. Is it normal?

salt.JPG

Looks like it got some moisture in it. I had a recent bag like that that had been sitting on a bottom shelf in my basement for I have no idea how long.

I used it just fine.

Edit: and no that's not normal. It's usually like what you described for RC

I've also had old bags sitting around that completely hardened. I'll smash them on the ground and use them just the same.

It doesn't show well in the pics but the chunks are actual crystals like table salt or rock salt. And it's free-flowing. All 4 bags in a 200gal box are like this.

@jason2459 I've mixed hardened salt before too but I had a lot of precipitation from it and the calcium was wayyyy low. The salt was crazy old though and "freshly" hardened salt probably plays nicer.

Anyway, based on your replies re: it not being normal, I'm not going to use it and I have a call to IO about it. I'll post if they admit to a bad batch.

I mixed a bucket (pump and heater) and it took a long time to mostly dissolve. RC dissolves before it hits the bottom of the bucket. There were bits of material that didn't dissolve at all: not precipitate but pieces.

I didn't bother testing. I don't trust it. I won't use it.

IMG_20231117_151158.jpg

Back