Isn't that a lot more work?

1000012422.jpg

1000012423.jpg

just a couple pics I snagged off my wife's phone over the weekend, I thought I had taken like a dozen but she said these were the only ones still on her phone lol.

That brown/pink/flesh colored zoa is the one I refer to often as a "rescue". I had no idea what color it would be when we bought it. It has the longest tentacles I've ever seen on a zoa. It started on that frag that's struggling in my office (other thread), and now I have that colony and a colony the same size growing in my display tank. it may actually become a nuisance zoa since it's not a super attractive color.

Also, as healthy as things are, it feels like their growth has slowed a bit. Last night I experimented and doubled the amount of benepets reef food I fed the tank. (90% targeted feeding, then broadcast what's left). The container tells you how much to feed, but doesn't say based upon a tank size. so I need to research that further and make sure I'm feeding enough.

yeah, I think I've been under feeding a tiny bit. with about 40g of water, I've been feeding the <25g portions because that was the recommended dose on the jar, but it doesn't clarify tank size. going forward we'll see if a little extra food causes good or harm:

1714059871219.png

This pic is from 3/17 looking down over what I'm building as Mt Zoa (lol)

I need to take an updated pic tonight to show how much some of these have grown in a month

1000012461.jpg

Now that some of my colonies are starting to touch, I'm watching carefully to see what happens next and if I should frag a couple polyps to keep one from overtaking the next.

I find the zoa polyps that are growing unattached an inch+ away from their mother colony very interesting I have no idea how that happens lol

GSP was like 1.5" long by .5" wide when we bought it, it's huge now. I know some people consider it invasive but I love the pop of color.

1000012496.jpg

I miss my pagoda cup. Yours looks great

It's really pretty and not at all what I had in mind when I told my wife we should spend a little more and get a nice focal piece instead of our normal bargain bin dates. She picked it and once I got it home I thought it was pretty impressive. Huge specimen compared to our normal stuff!! Probably about 6"+ diameter

Out here, Little Shop of Horrors zoas go for about $50/polyp and most frequently are sold in 3 polyp frags for $150.
A local guy on a FB group offered me a 3 polyp frag for $100. It would be the most expensive coral we have bought yet, and one of the tiniest, lol. But I'm very tempted if I can make logistics work because everything in my DT is growing so well.

a gal a the LFS told me she took the risk on a LSOH they had in their shop and her 3 polyp frag turned into 6 polyps in about a month, month and a half. would be really interesting to see if I could get that kind of production and maybe get the cost back out of them (or use the money for a tank upgrade next winter lol)

Post pictures once you get them and they settle in. I don't follow the commercial names of corals so, I'm kinda curious what these look like.

Post pictures once you get them and they settle in. I don't follow the commercial names of corals so, I'm kinda curious what these look like.

I will for sure!
he brought them to my office for me, so I turned down the light on my office tank and floated the bag to keep the temp regulated. I'll throw the bag in an insulated thermos to take home after work tonight and set them up there. They're already opened in the bag and look very pretty. the tentacles appear more stringy and delicate in a nice way, whereas my utterchaos are more strong/brute looking if that makes sense.

he told me he has a 50 or 70 head colony that's growing like crazy (imagine the street value). they look great so far though! i've been thinking about these particular zoas for months now so this deal is phenomenal to me!

Back