James404's 80g Rimless SPS Build

First SPS frags have gone in.

ORA Bird of Paradise
24037882828_9c48e8c6a1_c.jpg

ORA TriColor Valida
37632973810_71c734b854_c.jpg

Following along. Very nice setup and choice of equipment. I recently downsized from a 190 to simple 75-gallon display in anticipation of a move in the not too distant future. It's been fun simplifying and starting over. Looking forward to your updates!

Following along. Very nice setup and choice of equipment. I recently downsized from a 190 to simple 75-gallon display in anticipation of a move in the not too distant future. It's been fun simplifying and starting over. Looking forward to your updates!

Thanks for following along! I'll definitely check out your build as well.

Update

Small update today, the Premium Picasso's have successfully went through TTM and were put into the DT.

37994755352_f78657c1bf_c.jpg

The DT is definitely going through an ugly phase, got some hair algae going on. I also believe the pukani is leaching some po4, I'm having to clean the glass daily.

I'm not that worried, I've dealt with all this before. I will keep doing weekly water changes for now, not going to run any GFO even though I have a reactor just in case.

A new fish will be arriving Tuesday from LiveAquaria (which was too good of a deal to pass up), along with some Mexican Turbos which I know will mow down the hair algae in short order.

Current FTS

37971871616_0d02b56df9_c.jpg

I've been thinking a lot about removing the sandbed. The amount of flow I have in this tank right now is pretty crazy and the sand just will not stay put.

I will probably start removing a small amount at a time over the next few weeks.

Looking good James. I just read in another thread that someone thought that their BRS Pukani was leaching Po4. I've got 40 lbs of Pukani, 10lbs of Tonga branch, and 5 lbs of Tonga flat rock all from BRS and i haven't had any issues. Just curious, why don't you want to run any GFO? I haven't put mine online yet. My Po4 was .025 when I checked it last weekend so I'd like to try to keep it there. I know if I add GFO now with my light bio load that it'll strip the water. I'm adding a Red Planet along with some other frags this week and I've always had better luck keeping the RP green base when I have some Po4 in the system.

The Mexican Turbos will take care of the GHA in no time. I usually throw in an emerald Mithrax crab too.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Looking good James. I just read in another thread that someone thought that their BRS Pukani was leaching Po4. I've got 40 lbs of Pukani, 10lbs of Tonga branch, and 5 lbs of Tonga flat rock all from BRS and i haven't had any issues. Just curious, why don't you want to run any GFO? I haven't put mine online yet. My Po4 was .025 when I checked it last weekend so I'd like to try to keep it there. I know if I add GFO now with my light bio load that it'll strip the water. I'm adding a Red Planet along with some other frags this week and I've always had better luck keeping the RP green base when I have some Po4 in the system.

The Mexican Turbos will take care of the GHA in no time. I usually throw in an emerald Mithrax crab too.

Yea the pukani rock is known to have some high po4 levels, I think the last time I used it on my 225g I cured it in a brute for a few weeks.

I'm trying to stay away running GFO on this tank, plus with higher po4 levels it get's exhausted very quick. I will be adding some chaeto into the sump soon so that should help as well. The tank is still so young so I'm going to just let it work itself out.

I was actually looking for a RP to be the first coral to go into mine as well, but my usual LFS didn't have any left :(

From my experience the green base goes away when in higher light but I'm sure po4 levels will also have an effect on it as well.

So yesterday I decided to move the Apex unit from above the sump to make room for some other equipment.

Well, that didn't go so well. The Apex base unit now will not reconnect at all. I have tried holding the reset button down numerous times, and it never turns blue, just keeps flashing the different colors.

I have opened a support ticket with Neptune, hoping for a quick resolution :headwallblue:

So yesterday I decided to move the Apex unit from above the sump to make room for some other equipment.

Well, that didn't go so well. The Apex base unit now will not reconnect at all. I have tried holding the reset button down numerous times, and it never turns blue, just keeps flashing the different colors.

I have opened a support ticket with Neptune, hoping for a quick resolution :headwallblue:
James,

Do you have the display module? This has happened to me and I resolved it by going to System > Net Setup > Restart on the display module.

Back and forth with Neptune Support all day. They want to RMA the base unit.

Of course that requires many things like Pictures of the unit, serial numbers, original invoices, the blood of a virgin etc..

Hope I can find my invoice...

Man RMA is the last thing that i'd want to hear. I guess looking on the bright side... it's better to have equipment failure now rather than when the tank is full. I have no doubt that Neptune will take care of you, it'll probably just take a little time.

Man RMA is the last thing that i'd want to hear. I guess looking on the bright side... it's better to have equipment failure now rather than when the tank is full. I have no doubt that Neptune will take care of you, it'll probably just take a little time.

Yep it sucks but at least they have a cross ship service. I put down a $300 deposit, they will be overnighting me a new base unit. When they receive my unit back, they will refund the deposit. Should be back up and running tomorrow!

Yep it sucks but at least they have a cross ship service. I put down a $300 deposit, they will be overnighting me a new base unit. When they receive my unit back, they will refund the deposit. Should be back up and running tomorrow!

Did you get the new unit? Any shots of the tank?

Back