James404's 80g Rimless SPS Build

Thank you!

No problem. Question about your lights. Did you anchor into the joists or did you use sheet rock anchors? I'm hanging a Hamilton Cayman Sun pendant this weekend and with it being only 12" wide, I probably won't be able to hit joists for both wires.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

No problem. Question about your lights. Did you anchor into the joists or did you use sheet rock anchors? I'm hanging a Hamilton Cayman Sun pendant this weekend and with it being only 12" wide, I probably won't be able to hit joists for both wires.

Yep I used toggle bolts right through the sheetrock, wasn't able to hit any studs either. No issues and the ATI fixture is pretty heavy:)

Awesome build so far and great choice of equipment. Y'all northern are lucky to have basements to put sumps and stuff. Following along.

Been working on the build whenever I get a spare few minutes in between other projects.

I redid the aquascape on the right side of the tank, basically just swapped the front rock and the back one. Looks way better IMO. I am pretty happy with this layout now.

CUC was added from ReefCleaners. I ordered Ceriths, Nerites and Nassarius snails. Ended up getting Ceriths, Nerites and Hermit crabs....oh well LOL

Current FTS
37675144276_a20d1be378_c.jpg

37675144376_07db52c6ab_c.jpg

Observations

Already starting to see Coraline Algae.

Also seeing the beginning of the diatom phase.

Started to get my QT/TTM tanks setup. Built another stand for all the extra equipment needed. I'm losing track of how many of these stands I've built over the years. Bet I could build one in my sleep.

37675145596_8268607d0f_c.jpg

Sump is now running with skimmer and the Apex. ATO is yet to be hooked up, will be soon.

It turns out I made a poor selection on the return pump. This thing is just way too much pump, I kind of overestimated the head loss.

I placed an order for a Reeflo Swordtail as a replacement. Should be perfect, and all the plumbing connections remain the same.

37675145816_efbc8b5d9a_c.jpg

37675146156_079758235f_c.jpg

Started to get my QT/TTM tanks setup. Built another stand for all the extra equipment needed. I'm losing track of how many of these stands I've built over the years. Bet I could build one in my sleep.

37675145596_8268607d0f_c.jpg

Sump is now running with skimmer and the Apex. ATO is yet to be hooked up, will be soon.

It turns out I made a poor selection on the return pump. This thing is just way too much pump, I kind of overestimated the head loss.

I placed an order for a Reeflo Swordtail as a replacement. Should be perfect, and all the plumbing connections remain the same.

37675145816_efbc8b5d9a_c.jpg

37675146156_079758235f_c.jpg

Coming along really nice James. I just put water into my new system late last week. Always exciting when a reef tank starts to take shape.

Coming along really nice James. I just put water into my new system late last week. Always exciting when a reef tank starts to take shape.

Thanks Matt! I just checked out your build, you DIY'd both the tank and sump? That's impressive, I also like the remote fuge display :) I'm going to follow along.

Looks Good James.
My only concern would be the placement of the energy bar right above the water.

Thanks Vinny, I will take that into consideration.

Good to be back in the hobby again, I will have to re-join LIRA when I get some free time, I enjoyed the meetings I went to during my time as a member.

Thanks Matt! I just checked out your build, you DIY'd both the tank and sump? That's impressive, I also like the remote fuge display :) I'm going to follow along.

Sweet, thanks for checking out my build, James. I don't want to hijack your thread with info about my setup, but yes, I built the tank, sump, remote fuge, and sock holders. I've wanted to get into acrylic fabrication for awhile and I figured this system was a good one to experiment with. It was a great learning experience and pretty satisfying to see it all set up finally.

Livestock

I had a little bit of store credit at the LFS nearby so grabbed this small purple/green chalice

37073100184_7944ab9a34_c.jpg

First fish have arrived. 2 ORA Premium Picasso's currently in QT. They have already been named "Megatronus" and "Pinkie Pie" by the kids.

37112558623_318a0586bb_c.jpg

Last edited:
Livestock

I had a little bit of store credit at the LFS nearby so grabbed this small purple/green chalice

37073100184_7944ab9a34_c.jpg

First fish have arrived. 2 ORA Premium Picasso's currently in QT. They have already been named "Megatronus" and "Pinkie Pie" by the kids.

37112558623_318a0586bb_c.jpg

Those are going to be some stunning clowns. I'm thinking of trying the Wyomings White's with this system.

Return Pump

I swapped out the Reeflo Yellowtail today for the Swordtail.

The Yellowtail I had to valve down a considerable amount, and it was using ~460w!

The Swordtail is now using 166w, and I'm able to fine tune the flow better.

37864357681_3c71936788_c.jpg

Pretty happy with the flow so far in this tank

37157954304_4f73a94c2d_c.jpg

Ah, the rippling water is so satisfying. Looks like you've got some good flow patterns. Can't wait to see it full of SPS! The real question is... are you getting the itch for a larger tank, again? I know I am...

Ah, the rippling water is so satisfying. Looks like you've got some good flow patterns. Can't wait to see it full of SPS! The real question is... are you getting the itch for a larger tank, again? I know I am...

:) I have to keep telling myself "You do not want a bigger tank"

Plus my wife will probably kill me.

I really want to see this tank grow out to maturity though.

The Bubble King has been breaking in nicely, I don't even have a single fish in the system yet and it's doing it's job.

24037882568_dc52f9c5f7_c.jpg

24037881858_bca28bbcea_c.jpg

Premium Picasso's have been doing well with the TTM. They are eating regularly. I did the third transfer tonight.

37841771636_376361bdfb_c.jpg

Back