Japanese neon green Toadstool

indeed.

i think i'm fairly Google-savvy but I still can't find anything even remotely similar....the good news is I hear RR shipped a bunch of these to the US...if you guys have links to RR (the one located in Toronto, not RR USA) then follow up and see if they landed near you. worth the price.....very unique coral.

z

I just received a frag of Zeppelin's Japanese Toadstool. Here's a shot getting some natural sunlight from my window. Polyps were extended for a short while but have now closed. It has a great green color. Excited to see how this grows.

Here's a shot under LEDs...the base is very green in person though the pics wash it out a little.

Two more pictures of my japanese toadstool. Open most of the day now. Really cool coral. I'm hoping it buds off at some point and starts a small colony. Can anyone that's previously owned one comment on its growth rates/behavior? I assume it'll kinda just drop/grow off clones like a non-ocean toadstool mushroom? It would be cool to have a patch of them.

top-down

Through glass

Last edited:
One more with LEDs on....better colors. It's more green in natural sunlight than the previous pictures show.

Trinidiver, that looks like a Tyree neon green polyp toadstool.

The Japanese dwarf is all green, grows pretty slowly, and stays small. My adults are about silver dollar size, and are about 5 years old now and haven't done much growing in the last year.

This thread got me rather curious because I saw one of these with the green crown at a LFS for dirt cheap. Might have to stop by again in the morning.

Its closed up right now from being placed in the tank but no denying it has a green cap. Almost the size of my fist too.

Guess that link didn't work, here's a pic of a toadstool featured in a reef builders article. This is the toadstool I was told was a Japanese neon green toadstool. Captive reef used to sell these for $175 per dime sized frag. I originally created this thread to try and find another source for this particular toadstool. Regular and even Aussie green polyp toadstools can be bought anywhere. Not these ones though it seems. If anyone has a source for this toadstool from the reef builders article please message me because I've been looking for one.
imagejpg1_zps4361f491.jpg

I still have the one I posted about in 2010. It split off a small second cap and has grown in size, but it is still small. Gotta be the slowest growing coral I have ever owned. I'll try to get a pic tomorrow. It has not had the best placement in my mixed tank, honestly. Got overshadowed by a hammer colony for a couple years, and I kinda forgot about it. I moved it to a better spot yesterday, so hopefully it will rebound. These 'lil guys are pretty tough.

Guess that link didn't work, here's a pic of a toadstool featured in a reef builders article. This is the toadstool I was told was a Japanese neon green toadstool. Captive reef used to sell these for $175 per dime sized frag. I originally created this thread to try and find another source for this particular toadstool. Regular and even Aussie green polyp toadstools can be bought anywhere. Not these ones though it seems. If anyone has a source for this toadstool from the reef builders article please message me because I've been looking for one.

The one I got from Zepp looks exactly like yours. Send him a PM.....

Agreed - I would contact Zeppelin. I also received a frag from him and despite some of the earlier pics I posted, it looks like the pic u posted now that it fully expands. Definitely not the same as the regular green polyp toadstool I also have.

Bump - was looking around a temporary 20g I've set up in prep for an impending move, noticed how fluorescent my Japanese Toadstool coral appeared today - couldn't help but share :)

Back