Japanese neon green Toadstool

Bump - was looking around a temporary 20g I've set up in prep for an impending move, noticed how fluorescent my Japanese Toadstool coral appeared today - couldn't help but share :)

Just FYI that's not a deepwater japanese toad, it's just a tyree.

Japanese neon green Toadstool

Agree... I gave about 6 away in 2011. Mint green white short polyps..
Here is an old pic..
af7402188818608e9b951419c5ccfa29.jpg

Last edited:
Just FYI that's not a deepwater japanese toad, it's just a tyree.

What distinguishes a Japanese toadstool from tyree - the green cap or absence thereof? You can see from other photos in this thread the green in the cap though in the most recent, it's pretty washed out. While I guess it would be foolish to claim any lineage, I have a larger more traditional toadstool with green polyps that I think most people would think to be the "Tyree" variant. The cap in the photo above has stayed about the same size for over a year while the 'Tyree' has grown substantially. They're definitely different varieties...whatever they both are.

My 'Japanese toadstool' was purchased from Zeppelin here on reefcentral. Not sure if he discusses in this thread where he originally purchased the mother of mine.

It was my understanding that the true Japanese green toadstools had a neon green cap and neon green polyps. I do agree that your polyps are different than a regular tyree so it could be a Japanese variety that is also a slow grower.

Unless you can claim lineage I would just say it's a nice toadstool, but who am I to judge.

It was my understanding that the true Japanese green toadstools had a neon green cap and neon green polyps. I do agree that your polyps are different than a regular tyree so it could be a Japanese variety that is also a slow grower.

Unless you can claim lineage I would just say it's a nice toadstool, but who am I to judge.

Concur - not one to care that much about the name and don't plan on reselling it. I wish it would grow a little faster. I would love to have a couple clustered next to each other in a nanotank or something.

Whatever it is -- cool coral. I love toadstools!

Here is mine, it took about 4 years to get from a dime to dollar coin size. From what I heard there is two type of Japanese toads , one with green base and and green polyps and the other with green base and cream polyps which is the one pictured below. Today I decided to frag it. Photos before and after are on this post.
ImageUploadedByTapatalk1426643261.593384.jpg
ImageUploadedByTapatalk1426643288.287648.jpg
ImageUploadedByTapatalk1426643300.039567.jpg

Mine was originally purchased from Rick's Reef back in about 2004. Adult size cap is about silver dollar sized. Blurry cell pic, but you can see how green the cap and polyps are. I have the Tyree also, and this japanese dwarf puts it to shame. Extremely slow grower.

japanese_zpsgrhxpli6.jpg

And just to clarify, I think Ricks site, where I got mine originally, WAS called The Captive Reef. Its been over ten years ago now. I'm not 100% sure.

Last edited:
I took a better pic. Next to a frag of Eagle Eyes to illustrate better just how bright green they are.

japanese-dwarf_zpsjd8yb5rs.jpg

I got 2 varieties from captive reef over 8 years ago. They're about palm size. Absolutely different from tyrees

Hmmm....so what's the verdict - japanese or no? Seems like different polyp structure/density than what Zeppelin posted but that's who I bought it from.

I have one that has long white polyps and a green base surface color. It looks like the picture fuel posted. It is a slower grower and is a really unique leather. I did not buy it as a japanese leather though, it was 25 bucks but I traded a couple corals for it, guess I grabbed a goodie.

Back