Jay's SC Aquarium 50g Starphire Cube Build

Very beautiful setup! I love how it's nice and clean.

A few questions for you.

1. That stand doesn't look like their normal stand. Did you have the stand custom built?

2. Their tanks are usually drilled with two holes. Are they now stocking tanks with three holes? A while back, I inquired about having three holes, and they told me that it was a special order items that would take months to order.

3. Do you know if the stand is MDF or solid wood? I believe that their normal stand is made of MDF.

Last edited:
2. Their tanks are usually drilled with two holes. Are they now stocking tanks with three holes? A while back, I inquired about having three holes, and they told me that it was a special order items that would take months to order.

3. Do you know if the stand is MDF or solid wood? I believe that their normal stand is made of MDF.

These are the only drawbacks that concerned me on their tanks, but being a carpenter eliminated the stand issue.
I do take extra measures to keep my overflow and drain area clear, but do wish they drilled larger and a secondary drain.
OP's caught my eye on that as well, wondering if they changed or was that special order?

Very beautiful setup! I love how it's nice and clean.

A few questions for you.

1. That stand doesn't look like their normal stand. Did you have the stand custom built?

1. The stand was a $150 upgrade from sc. I needed a white stand to match my furniture, so they sent me a pic of this one, and told me for 150 i could have one of these new ones.

2. I asked to pay extra for a custom tank driller with 3 1" holes. The guy told me he already had one left from a earlier custom order so i told him i wanted it. He just included it in the price since it was already built for someone else.

3. This stand was painted and all the joints were already together but there is a pattern i can see on the back and at the exposed cuts for the overflow which looks like plywood. I could be wrong, but i did use a few coats of marine grade paint on the inside and the top and backside just in case.

Hi Jay,
I am amazed by your cord and line management in the cabinet. I am currently setting up a modded 29 Bio cube. Where did you source the covered tracks for hiding the cords? Are all the excess cords tucked in the track or did you shorten cords as necessary?

Very well done ánd thought out!

Geoff

Hi Jay,
I am amazed by your cord and line management in the cabinet. I am currently setting up a modded 29 Bio cube. Where did you source the covered tracks for hiding the cords? Are all the excess cords tucked in the track or did you shorten cords as necessary?

Very well done ánd thought out!

Geoff

Thank you! I sourced the cord tracks from amazon. You can search under
StarTech.com 2inx1in Open Slot Wiring Cable Raceway Duct with Cover. Most of the excess cord is tucked inside the raceway.

What is the lighting that came with your tank??

If you are talking about under the cabinet, I bought some undercabinet LEDs and wired them. If you are talking about the tank lighting, I ordered the Ecotech package so a XR-15w Pro came with my PNP along with a mp10wQD.

After sitting for a week, I managed to put some more work in. Im doing more work today, I'll post some of the progress pics tomorrow.

I am looking forward to seeing your lighting? what are you plans for this tank. I am also thinking about the 50..but i think it just a bit to small for me...

and yeah your my hero with wire management.

I am looking forward to seeing your lighting? what are you plans for this tank. I am also thinking about the 50..but i think it just a bit to small for me...

and yeah your my hero with wire management.

I have a Ecotech Radio Pro XR-15W lighting it. I must say, it's pretty cool when paired with the Ecotech Reeflink. I saw many bad reviews but the only thing I can think of is that those reviews were from before they updated the firmware. I had no problems setting it up.

Jay - how is the skimmer working out for you? I am thinking about pulling the trigger on the same tank, stand, and skimmer.

Really been trying not to rush things but on the other end, it sure takes much longer waiting for parts lol!

Nice setup! I have the same SCA 50gal as well that I'm in the process of setting up. Very clean and organized plumbing and wiring in the stand.

I'll follow along to get some ideas for my tank. Thanks!

Finally gettin it wet! Dr Tims in, 50 drops of ammonia, and we are rockin and rolling!

------------------

------------------

------------------

------------------

Custom screen top. So with the Herbie style drain, Running a Jebao DCT-6000 at 80%, which I calculated to be in the neighborhood of 1200-1300 GPH, with a little trickle of noise because the overflow teeth itself can't handle that much flow on a 50G Cube. Amazing! Now, who do you know that has that kinda turnover rate??? Score for me! lol anyway, enjoy! The days coming, I sure will be enjoying.

Back