JBNY's 270 Ver2.0

Joe, earlier when discussing the ARID reactor you said you had identified a Boron deficiency that resulted in brittle Chaeto. Were there other signs in your tank of Boron deficiency?

Good info on Strontium BTW. I've had very sluggish coraline algae growth since I switched over from one tank to the two-tank system, even with slightly elevated Magnesium. I used to dose strontium in the Calcium Chloride of my two part. I just realized I haven't been adding it since the switchover!:facepalm:

I'm not sure, I picked up a Salifert test kit and it showed my Boron levels were about 1ppm, so I raised it to 4ppm. But I don't think that there were any other symptoms that I could identify for a Boron deficiency.

On the Strontium thing, yeah so many people buy all these different products to purple up their reef, I always tell them just start dosing some strontium.

Dosing strontium clearly irradiates hippo tangs. That thing is glowing.

Your tank has always motivated me to keep SPS. Good luck with the new one!

haha the old Nikon coolpix cameras back then used to always show the hippo tang as purple. I was so happy when I finally got a newer camera and the blue hippo tang came out blue.

Many thanks on the kind words, I hope this tank looks good too.

Hm!! Interesting!!
I'll be adding krylone to my tank starting today!! :)

Joe, thanks for the very detailed response to my questions. Although, I have decent corraline algae growth, I may play around a bit with strontium after seeing those before and after pics. Amazing!
That's a very cool program you have for the gyres.. Makes me consider getting a controller..

I'm not sure, I picked up a Salifert test kit and it showed my Boron levels were about 1ppm, so I raised it to 4ppm. But I don't think that there were any other symptoms that I could identify for a Boron deficiency.

On the Strontium thing, yeah so many people buy all these different products to purple up their reef, I always tell them just start dosing some strontium.

haha the old Nikon coolpix cameras back then used to always show the hippo tang as purple. I was so happy when I finally got a newer camera and the blue hippo tang came out blue.

Many thanks on the kind words, I hope this tank looks good too.

Joe,
What are you using to dose Boron?

OK some frag pictures. some of these are finally starting to color up, but they are just tiny frags, one day though...

These are from Adam over at BattleCorals

_D710518.jpg

_D710519.jpg

_D710524.jpg

_D710526.jpg

_D710527.jpg

_D710528.jpg

_D710531.jpg

Picked this sarmentosa up at reef-a-palooza

_D710534.jpg

Very nice frags!
I have tried two pearlberry frags.. For some reason, I have yet to have success with it..
Looking forward to seeing them take off.
Borax. I learn a new thing every time I visit this thread.

Thanks for the info about borax, I assume you're testing using a salifert kit?

Gorgeous frags! Is there any chance you could give a list of the frags you got from BC and which ones are which? I've been drooling over his website but I only have a limited amount of room in my tank, so I need to be particular about what goes in...

Great update as always Joe.

Very nice frags!
I have tried two pearlberry frags.. For some reason, I have yet to have success with it..
Looking forward to seeing them take off.
Borax. I learn a new thing every time I visit this thread.

Thanks I am pretty happy with the frags so far. Hopefully I have better luck with the pearlberry.

Thanks for the info about borax, I assume you're testing using a salifert kit?

Gorgeous frags! Is there any chance you could give a list of the frags you got from BC and which ones are which? I've been drooling over his website but I only have a limited amount of room in my tank, so I need to be particular about what goes in...

Great update as always Joe.

Yes I am using the Salifert Boron test kit.

The BC frags in the pictures are.

Nilbog Resident
Rainbow's Army
Blue Matrix
Rainbows in Spain
Infamous Him Hawer
Therman's Rainbow
Fire Polyp

They are only a few weeks old and just starting to color up, so I am excited to see what the look like as the get bigger. Adam over at BC couldn't be better to work with.

Wow, that's a great looking tank (heck, both versions!)

I've recently started a tank with dry sand and Marco Rock, and I'm having issues keeping certain corals happy even though all params check out quite good. I would be interested to hear what hurdles you had getting v2 stable and what it took to get your SPS happy in the beginning.

Oh, and MORE PICS!!!

Wow, that's a great looking tank (heck, both versions!)

I've recently started a tank with dry sand and Marco Rock, and I'm having issues keeping certain corals happy even though all params check out quite good. I would be interested to hear what hurdles you had getting v2 stable and what it took to get your SPS happy in the beginning.

Oh, and MORE PICS!!!

hmm, my biggest problem was that I was having issues keeping any SPS alive any length of time. Last year after we did some renovations I started having issues in the tank only with corals, all the fish were fine. Corals looked great for the first week or so. But then in a few weeks they start to brown out, bleach, polyps retract and eventually RTN one day. LPS would start out great and by about the 3rd week they don't show as much polyp extension, eventually retract and receded only to die maybe a month later. I sort of ignored it for in the beginning and was just leaving the tank without corals for a while just being busy with life. Around October/November last year I decided to get serious and get the tank back in shape.

After speaking with a few friends who had remarkably similar issues with their coral when carbon dosing, I decided to stop carbon dosing and using GFO. I also decided to switch salt. I had been using Oceanic for something like ten years, but for some reason the last year or so, the animals didn't look better after a water change, they looked a little worse. Corals just seemed a little more retracted from what they had been in the past. I changed my salt to Red Sea Coral Pro.

So I pulled off the doser and did a few water changes and low and behold things looked better. Polyps were out a little more.

So at this point encouraged by the first glimmer of hope, I go all out. I start performing water changes twice a day for the first two days and then every day for a week. I was making so much ro/di water I killed my RO module in the middle of it and had to buy all new DI resin and a new RO filter. So after I changed out about 450 gallons of water, then I dropped back to twice weekly water changes and then once a week. Boom! tank looked great. So I started putting some frags in to se how they would do and they did much better. But I was still having issues with RTN and tip burning. So I started working getting the tank stable. Alk was fluctuating too much, and that actually took me a few weeks to get under control. I was just underestimating how much alk my ca reactor and kalk reactor could put in the tank, even at very low settings. So once i realized that I shut off the kalk reactor and ran the Ca reactor at it lowest settings and I was finally able to get the alk steady. Things were looking better but I was still not comfortable with how frags were doing in the tank. So after talking to some more people I switched salts again back to Instant Ocean (what I used to use like 10 years ago). Changed out about 300 gallons in a week and all the corals looked much better. From there the tank has been doing so much better I tend to think that it was the RSCP salt that might have been giving me issues for the last few months.

Right now my tank is very stable, last weeks tests of the parameters were.

SG:1.026 Alk:7.8 dKh Ca:470 Mg:1410 NO3:5ppm PO4:0.01

hmm, my biggest problem was that I was having issues keeping any SPS alive any length of time. Last year after we did some renovations I started having issues in the tank only with corals, all the fish were fine. Corals looked great for the first week or so. But then in a few weeks they start to brown out, bleach, polyps retract and eventually RTN one day. LPS would start out great and by about the 3rd week they don't show as much polyp extension, eventually retract and receded only to die maybe a month later. I sort of ignored it for in the beginning and was just leaving the tank without corals for a while just being busy with life. Around October/November last year I decided to get serious and get the tank back in shape.

After speaking with a few friends who had remarkably similar issues with their coral when carbon dosing, I decided to stop carbon dosing and using GFO. I also decided to switch salt. I had been using Oceanic for something like ten years, but for some reason the last year or so, the animals didn't look better after a water change, they looked a little worse. Corals just seemed a little more retracted from what they had been in the past. I changed my salt to Red Sea Coral Pro.

So I pulled off the doser and did a few water changes and low and behold things looked better. Polyps were out a little more.

So at this point encouraged by the first glimmer of hope, I go all out. I start performing water changes twice a day for the first two days and then every day for a week. I was making so much ro/di water I killed my RO module in the middle of it and had to buy all new DI resin and a new RO filter. So after I changed out about 450 gallons of water, then I dropped back to twice weekly water changes and then once a week. Boom! tank looked great. So I started putting some frags in to se how they would do and they did much better. But I was still having issues with RTN and tip burning. So I started working getting the tank stable. Alk was fluctuating too much, and that actually took me a few weeks to get under control. I was just underestimating how much alk my ca reactor and kalk reactor could put in the tank, even at very low settings. So once i realized that I shut off the kalk reactor and ran the Ca reactor at it lowest settings and I was finally able to get the alk steady. Things were looking better but I was still not comfortable with how frags were doing in the tank. So after talking to some more people I switched salts again back to Instant Ocean (what I used to use like 10 years ago). Changed out about 300 gallons in a week and all the corals looked much better. From there the tank has been doing so much better I tend to think that it was the RSCP salt that might have been giving me issues for the last few months.

Right now my tank is very stable, last weeks tests of the parameters were.

SG:1.026 Alk:7.8 dKh Ca:470 Mg:1410 NO3:5ppm PO4:0.01

Red Sea Coral Pro Salt - ::shudder::
Instant Ocean isn't pretty but it works:)

Thanks so much for sharing that info. I'm hoping water changes and time will be the ticket for my tank, I am looking forward to stocking some nicer SPS, but need to keep Birdsnest alive first!

Did you ever suspect that you may have had a contaminant, either from new tank construction, or possibly from your rock?

Thanks so much for sharing that info. I'm hoping water changes and time will be the ticket for my tank, I am looking forward to stocking some nicer SPS, but need to keep Birdsnest alive first!

Did you ever suspect that you may have had a contaminant, either from new tank construction, or possibly from your rock?

Yeah I absolutely think there were a few contaminants that hit the system. When I lost half my fish two years ago, six months after the fact it was found that fabreeze was sprayed in the room that has the open top tank. So that was one. Then after the kitchen remodel I feel that, although I had the tank covered during the demo, because it was open most times, that everything from sanding and spackling to dust from wood being cut could ave made its way into the tank. I feel that the remodel was really tough on the tank. Sort of unavoidable as the tank only 4 feet from the actual renovation.

Joe, you definitely look like you are on your way again.
The new corals are looking very sweet!

Thanks, they are looking good in those pics for sure. Right after I took those pics, I switched the T5 lighting from KZ Fiji Purple back to Coral+ after a month to try the KZ bulbs. Although I initally though that the C+ looked better, the colors do not look as good as they did last week. I am going to change them back this week and leave the T5 combo as two B+ and two Fiji Purple going forward and be done with it.

Looking great joe

Thanks Chuck, it's getting there!

They did not. I thought my problems were behind me when I got them from you but I was wrong, I was still having problems, lost them both. :(

Have since got another red dragon that looks to be doing well.

Joe, good luck with the re-boot. It will only be a matter of time before you have another masterpiece.

Back