JBNY's 270 Ver2.0

Did you find the source before you tried to remove the W? I was all set to just to a series of water changes and was told that, if I have removed the source, the tungsten should slowly just reduce over time. I think that Ehsan had numbers as high as 500 and just let them come down naturally and all went well.

Yes, they specifically wanted to test if the Tungsten would be removed with no water changes. Algal export and bacterial sequestration appeared to work to effectively reduce the value in their tank. I think with several of us having rusty pump issues it is clear that we all should regularly check all mechanical components for this kind of degradation on a regular basis.

Glad you found the cause. It's depressing to see them using cheap parts and yet charging a premium.

I found the source after a bunch of ineffective water changes, then took it out (a rusting magnet) and continued the changes. They then reduced. I spoke with Eshan at MCNA after reading the article and he recommended water changes, particularly since in my case the SPS reacted very negatively to the tungsten. Perhaps because they were mostly small colonies and frags. My large stag handled the tungsten better than all of the others.

Joe did you ever contact Ecotech about the rusty shaft?

I am curious to why it would happen or if it is going to be a problem for everyone eventually with the pump? Is it a one time thing because it was aligned wrong? are they aware and have already fixed the problem?
Bad batch? etc.

Could save allot of people a headache.

I am curious to why it would happen or if it is going to be a problem for everyone eventually with the pump? Is it a one time thing because it was aligned wrong? are they aware and have already fixed the problem?
Bad batch? etc.

Ecotech distributor in the UK simply sends new wet parts free of charge if you contact them, but do not enter into any sort of dialogue about the rust issues.

Although this is a good customer service, the underlying problem does not go away. I used to own a Vortech MP10. The wet side (the magnet+impeller) split. I got a free replacement. That split too.

This issue is not restricted to Ecotech either. I had to get rid of a new style Tunze silence clamp that has the new style magnets (i.e. the one that has weak magnets as opposed to the old one with very strong magnets). You will not be surprised to learn where these new magnets are manufactured.

Ecotech distributor in the UK simply sends new wet parts free of charge if you contact them, but do not enter into any sort of dialogue about the rust issues.

Although this is a good customer service, the underlying problem does not go away. I used to own a Vortech MP10. The wet side (the magnet+impeller) split. I got a free replacement. That split too.

This issue is not restricted to Ecotech either. I had to get rid of a new style Tunze silence clamp that has the new style magnets (i.e. the one that has weak magnets as opposed to the old one with very strong magnets). You will not be surprised to learn where these new magnets are manufactured.

Yea I understand. I had a pump rust out too... Problem is when you buy a Ecotech, Italian, German made high end product you do not want to see this low end China parts. It is like Harley-Davidson throwing a Chinese part on a bike. Shouldn't happen... but I am sure it happens more than we know.

Last edited:
Joe, what are you dosing daily, and what is your dose per gallon?

Also...you used to add muriatic acid to your barrels of ASW (IO IIRC?). How much muriatic acid per 55 gallon barrel were you adding to reduce the DKH/Alk of the water?

Beautiful growth and colors on your corals, definitely considering Triton for my reefer 350, I have an ARID as well

Sorry for the late reply guys. I've been busy and must have missed the email from the thread.

lets see an update on how everything is doing :)

Everything is doing great. I'll gte some pictures up this weekend.

Bad batch? etc.

I did not contact them. I just switched to an older version of the wet side I had. I probably should, I have just been busy and haven't gotten around to it.

That is depressing that so many of these companies that are charging a premium are using such poor quality parts. :(

Joe, what are you dosing daily, and what is your dose per gallon?

Also...you used to add muriatic acid to your barrels of ASW (IO IIRC?). How much muriatic acid per 55 gallon barrel were you adding to reduce the DKH/Alk of the water?

I am dosing 335ml a day of Triton, 0.2ppm every 3 days of KNO3, For the MnZnI I am dosing:
Iodine 0.0109 ppm per day
Manganese Mn 0.0012 ppm daily
Zinc Zn 0.0016 ppm daily

Are you still using the triton method?

I am still using Triton, so far so good.

Ooops missed that one. I used 15-17ml of muriatic acid, it will drop the pH a lot so you need to give it at least 12 hours before you use the make up water.

Hey Joe, looking forward to pics! :)
Remind me again what's in the 335ml Triton..
Do they have a base mix of elements or is that cal/alk mix?

Yeah it's a 4 part solution that is supposed to have everything a growing tank needs. alk/mg/ca as well as trace elements.

For triton have you moved to the core 7? Also are you using the method for algae or no algae? I know your growing chaeto but wonder if there there have been issues with the algae method the D2mini had with his triton.

For triton have you moved to the core 7? Also are you using the method for algae or no algae? I know your growing chaeto but wonder if there there have been issues with the algae method the D2mini had with his triton.

I have stayed with the Core Elements. it's working for me so why change. I am using an ARID algae reactor, I am not sure what issues D2mini had with algae.

An updated video from today, yeah the tank has grown some. If you click on the video to bring you to youtube, you can see it in HD.

Wow Joe!!!! It doesn't seem that long ago when the tank was filled with frags and looked barren. Absolutely spectacular!

Wow Joe!!!! It doesn't seem that long ago when the tank was filled with frags and looked barren. Absolutely spectacular!

Thank you, yeah it really took off in the last 12 months, here is a pic from 13 months ago, May 2016. What a difference.

2016051001-3.jpg

<iframe width="1024" height="576" src="https://www.youtube.com/embed/LdZzOQZI3po?rel=0?ecver=1" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

Sahin taught me this. Use the Embed link with the iframe code, select more options and custom size. :)

Tank looks fantastic, growth is incredible.

Back