JBNY's 270 Ver2.0

thats odd.....do you think it has anything to do with the triton method and your N03/P04 being so low?

corey

thats odd.....do you think it has anything to do with the triton method and your N03/P04 being so low?

corey

I had on and off problems with the ARID reactor before I switched to Triton, where I would get great growth in the reactor and them it would stall for a few months and them grow again. But about a year ago I stared seeing slower growth and it really hasn't come back. The Cheato in the reactor is growing, just not a lot and not enough to pull my nutrients down. My PO4 has been steadily rising since last October, it is current at 1 ppm from .7ppm earleir in the year. N is holding steady at around 10ppm.

the higher phosphate is not causing any problems and I have only a little bit of algae in the tank.

That's very interesting. I am curious what could be the cause of the issue.
However, the tank is still thriving so those numbers seem to be within your tanks "sweet spot".

Corey

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

JBNY's 270 Ver2.0

I had on and off problems with the ARID reactor before I switched to Triton, where I would get great growth in the reactor and them it would stall for a few months and them grow again. But about a year ago I stared seeing slower growth and it really hasn't come back. The Cheato in the reactor is growing, just not a lot and not enough to pull my nutrients down. My PO4 has been steadily rising since last October, it is current at 1 ppm from .7ppm earleir in the year. N is holding steady at around 10ppm.

the higher phosphate is not causing any problems and I have only a little bit of algae in the tank.

Slow growth from the reactor but still growth would seem to indicate something being a limiting factor.

Iron is certainly something that comes to mind for macros especially and I noticed it's not one of the extra elements you dose regularly, so it could be something that's not harmful to give a shot. Is your pH is maintained decently high, it wouldn't be unheard of for CO2 to be limiting the algal growth as well.

Love the tank and pics by the way! Amazing stuff.

Triton is suppose to have all the elements to grow algae. I believe there is even extra elements added to grow the algae.

Triton is suppose to have all the elements to grow algae. I believe there is even extra elements added to grow the algae.

While this is true, he's already having to supplement other elements already as he does for zinc and manganese so what's to say his tank isn't deficient in something else causing the algae growth to slow as well? Just because a bottle says there is enough doesn't mean there's enough. Why else would they make the supplement bottles, deficiencies are bound to pop up.

Your tank and amazing growth and colours of your acro, support what Rich Ross wrote 3 years ago, and many disagreed......https://reefs.com/magazine/skeptical-reefkeeping-ix-test-kits-chasing-numbers-and-phosphate/

Po4 and how bad it is, is one more myth of our hobby....

I remembered that when you first noticed elevated phosphates, you used gfo to lower them, when did you decide to stop using it? As phospates elevated in tour tank , did you notice any slightly colour change or growth rate reduction?

Very nice Job on this build. Eye popping results for a little over a year and intrigued about the micro elements. I have a bunch of Eyos elements, stro, and Iodine and decided to try them based on your experience. I went back to my last test and all of the elements you describe where or are 0. Thank for sharing your wealth of knowledge and experience here!

So here are results from the last ICP test I had done from Triton. This test is from December 6, 2017.

Thoughts and changes I have made because of this test. I let about 8 months go since the last time I had done a test so the results are some good some not so good. but over all I am pretty happy.

Titanium (W) is done a lot form the 320 reading I had last time. So I feel that the source of contaminate was in fact the Ecotech wet side assembly for my MD40. I'm not going to do anything about that as it seems to be going down on it's own.

Ca/Mg both high, I'll just lower the amount in the tank for a day or two and get them back in line. They had not been testing this high with my Salifert test, but maybe my tests are too old. I'll buy some new ones.

Potassium rose only slightly. I had dosed some potassium last year that rose the levels a little too much, it continues to stay at that level so I'll leave it be.

Strontium (Sr) and Boron (B), are about half of where I want them to be so I will raise the to Sr of 8-10 and B to 4-5.

Vandium, a little high, adjust the dosage.

Zinc, perfect, will keep dosing at the present levels.

Manganese, still zero. Will up the dosage a little bit again.

Iodine (I) is way too high, I had been dosing this and my numbers had been consistently good, between 30-40 but under 60ppm. I increased the dosage a little to try and get a little more I in the tank. I also mixed up a fresh batch of KI a few months ago, maybe I measured wrong and added too much. Whatever the reason, I immediately dumped out the trace elements mixture I was dosing (Zinc, Manganese and Iodine), and remixed a new batch using only Zinc and Manganese. So I will stop dosing and wait for those numbers to drop. Fortunately if remember correctly it gets removed from the tank pretty quickly so I so should be fine soon.

Phosphate (PO4) higher than I have ever had it. Corals look great though and little to no nuisance algae. I have not been dosing anything about this at all, I'll think about what if anything I need to do.

00014617.jpg

00014620.jpg

00014621.jpg

That's very interesting. I am curious what could be the cause of the issue.
However, the tank is still thriving so those numbers seem to be within your tanks "sweet spot".

Corey

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I'm not sure, I have been trying to figure it out for the last year.

Slow growth from the reactor but still growth would seem to indicate something being a limiting factor.

Iron is certainly something that comes to mind for macros especially and I noticed it's not one of the extra elements you dose regularly, so it could be something that's not harmful to give a shot. Is your pH is maintained decently high, it wouldn't be unheard of for CO2 to be limiting the algal growth as well.

Love the tank and pics by the way! Amazing stuff.

My pH values are always between 7.8 and 8.2. I do dose Iron. For the lasy 8 months I have been adding some Brightwell Ferrion in the morning, just a squirt from the bottle but I have not noticed any difference in growth form the ARID reactor.

It is supposed to have extra elements for algae growth indeed, yet I am still having problems.

While this is true, he's already having to supplement other elements already as he does for zinc and manganese so what's to say his tank isn't deficient in something else causing the algae growth to slow as well? Just because a bottle says there is enough doesn't mean there's enough. Why else would they make the supplement bottles, deficiencies are bound to pop up.

Yup I am adding extra stuff already, if I could figure out what is missing I would just add it to the mix, but no luck so far.

Your tank and amazing growth and colours of your acro, support what Rich Ross wrote 3 years ago, and many disagreed......https://reefs.com/magazine/skeptical-reefkeeping-ix-test-kits-chasing-numbers-and-phosphate/

Po4 and how bad it is, is one more myth of our hobby....

I remembered that when you first noticed elevated phosphates, you used gfo to lower them, when did you decide to stop using it? As phospates elevated in tour tank , did you notice any slightly colour change or growth rate reduction?

I ended up using GFO once and I quickly realized I was going to have to use a lot to get the numbers down so I just stopped using the GFO.

Color right now is really great so I definaly do not think it has eny effect on color. Growth, "maybe" a little less, but if it is it is not much. I am now firmly a believer in phosphates are not nearly as important as we have been lead to believe. I really think people, myself included, have done more damage to their tank by trying to reduce phosphates than if they had just left them alone.

Very nice Job on this build. Eye popping results for a little over a year and intrigued about the micro elements. I have a bunch of Eyos elements, stro, and Iodine and decided to try them based on your experience. I went back to my last test and all of the elements you describe where or are 0. Thank for sharing your wealth of knowledge and experience here!

Thanks, glad I am able to help you!

"Yup I am adding extra stuff already, if I could figure out what is missing I would just add it to the mix, but no luck so far."

If your reactor is on its own pump, try adding a portion of your Manganese dose near the intake & see if you get a growth spurt. Manganese deficiency mimics Iron deficiency in many plants.

Back