JHemdal ...please weigh in........

hottuna

On this new product featured in marine depots latest catalog...
Its called herbtana made by a company called microbelift out of fl...

just another natural fish cure scam ? like primafix and melafix?

www.microbelift.com

supposedly effective against :skin flukes, gill flukes, ich, oodinium, brooklynella etc

says herbtana- "supports the fish's natural immune system ,driving off the excess parasites.since they cannot return to the fish during treatment , the majority of parasites will starve without a host "

as of last night I saw that a store I frequent often in maryland is a dealer for the stuff- so I called him and he raved about it...this is a guy who has never given me bad info...

"supports the fish's natural immune system ,driving off the excess parasites.since they cannot return to the fish during treatment , the majority of parasites will starve without a host "

I think that line right there should be your answer. "Supports" and "driving off excess parasites"

What are "excess parasites"

Sounds like a load of .

It sounds to me like this product does what garlic does. Which can help decrease the numbers of a parasite, but seldom, if ever, and certainly not reliably, is an effective cure. Without further information on the ingredients in the product, which seems to be conveniently absent on the manufacturer's website, I would say this product will at best help the fish to fight the parasite down to a silent, chronic infection until stress hits the fish. Then it will likely be back.

Large Angels : believe me I am the biggest skeptic there is...so I will wait until MANY people tell me the stuff works before it goes in my world....you are right that line implies its ok to have a ?normal? amount of parasites on a fish ...???

hottuna,

Sorry, I've not used this product, so I can't give you an opinion....and unless they divulge what the ingredients are, I won't consider putting it in my tanks. In looking over the web site, it could be garlic, melaluca, or one of the polysaccharide immune boosters (from yeast).

Jay

I have used this product, and it did not work for me. I'm not trying to bad mouth Ecological Laboratories Inc. in any way...just relaying my experience with the product since that was the question asked.

It sounded like the "holy grail" miracle that's why I bought it. But for me it wasn't, and caused me more problems then the Ich I was trying to cure with a Kole Tang in my fully stocked reef tank.

They claim it is "reef safe", but IME with the product it is not TOTALLY "reef safe". After the very first application (you have to dose this for 10 days) all of my Large Mexican Turbo Snails/Orange Turbos would "clamp up" shut their operculum and fall off the glass/rockwork. They would remain this way for several hours. Then some would "wake" back up and come back to life, but some would die.

This is a 10 day treatment according to their instructions. And each day I would dose according to their instructions I would lose more and more of my Turbo Snail population. By the time 10 days was up all of the Turbos in my tank were dead. Ironically it didn't affect any other type of snail in my system just the Turbo snails.

Fish and corals didn't seem bothered by my additions of Herbtana, as well as shrimp, crabs, and other inverts. Just the Turbo Snails had a very bad reaction to it. Also my Clams hated this stuff...clamped up and looked very unhappy. After my 10 day treatment was done, and it didn't cure the Ich in my tank (it actually spread) I decided to stop using the product cause I didn't want my clams to die. They state a longer treatment period may be required if you don't get results within 10 days. I didn't want to risk killing my clams. The clams have bounced back and are doing well since I've stopped treatment.

After my very first dose of this stuff, (and I saw all my Turbos drop like flies off the glass/rockwork) I quickly contacted the microbelift website to let them know what happened. I exchanged several e-mails with Karin Berke (Customer Relations for microbelift), and they were very interested in my findings with the product. I kept her updated every day on my experiences. When I e-mailed her that all my Turbo Snails were dead, and I have more fish infected with Ich then I started out with I never heard from her again.

That's my experience with the product.

Last edited:
thanks , Jay,rowjimmy....... the customer service disappearing act when the product didnt work as advertised -says alot...

I know this is an old thread....but I just wanted to report that we tried the Herbtana for our ich problem and within 10 minutes of adding it....the snails started dropping off the sides of the tank. We lost one of our Queen Conchs and the other one isn't looking too good right now. I'm not too happy about this product.

As stated several times on this forum....REEF SAFE treatments do not work.....

I have used this product, thank GOD it was a free sample given to me at MACNA. Its worthless. Does nothing to the parasite and even stresses corals out for a little while. Its not worth adding anything to your tank. Keep the water quality good and feed good.

Kinda surprised hearing a person that runs copper all the time ask about a reef safe treatment.

Back