JohnL's 20 Gallon Nano Reef

Everything looks happy in your tank, John. Are you pleased with how it's going?
Thank you Dawn. Overall I am pleased. I did lose my first few sps frags and had a few fish go down the overflows. I put mesh over the overflows. I was able to rescue some of the fish but the yellow watchman goby was down there for 6 weeks and didn't recover. I think the little clownfish went down there and didn't survive.

Thank you Dawn. Overall I am pleased. I did lose my first few sps frags and had a few fish go down the overflows. I put mesh over the overflows. I was able to rescue some of the fish but the yellow watchman goby was down there for 6 weeks and didn't recover. I think the little clownfish went down there and didn't survive.
I am glad to hear that overall you are pleased. And yes, I too have had fish go down my overflow, even though I have small holes drilled in my standpipe. Somehow, they fit through along with anemone or two. My green citron goby is one of them and for now I am just letting him live in the refugium. He is probably happier in the fuge with only one other fish, (a true Percula clownfish) than competing in the display with 13 other fish, LOL.

I actually keep filter floss in a mess bag in the aquarium side of the overflow box now. That should help some but still is not a sure preventive measure. It does have the added benefit of filtering out the particulate in the water column though.

Really nice looking tank. :D Gotta love live rock, it’s so hard to come by these days (for those of us in the UK at least). Have the cosmic gobies shown any interest in the Heliofungia?

Really nice looking tank. :D Gotta love live rock, it’s so hard to come by these days (for those of us in the UK at least). Have the cosmic gobies shown any interest in the Heliofungia?
Thank you Lisa. The cosmic gobies have not shown any interest.

Hey John, I know that I had expressed an interest in perhaps meeting you, Patrick @ subsea, and @ Paul B in Long Island this summer but my summer got filled up with kids, grandkids and motorcycle rides with my hubby so I won't be able to make it to New York. Just wanted to let all of you know so you guys can plan.

Hey John, I know that I had expressed an interest in perhaps meeting you, Patrick @ subsea, and @ Paul B in Long Island this summer but my summer got filled up with kids, grandkids and motorcycle rides with my hubby so I won't be able to make it to New York. Just wanted to let all of you know so you guys can plan.
Thanks Dawn. Hopefully we'll meet another time.

Tank photo from today

20220709_080857_copy_2419x1144.jpg

Looking great so far! Is that the Carribean Aiptasia I hear about in the center? That’s not nearly as invasive as the pacific species?

Looking good. IS that the same tank or did you sneak in an upgrade? :) You have the makings of a xenia take over - might want to watch that.
Thanks Sean. It's the same 20 gallon setup on March 1st. I changed the lighting a while back.

I actually harvested a lot of xenia already. It's growing like a weed.

Back