Just bought new tank!

nursedude

Well I did it, ordered one of SC aquarium's 66 gallon tanks. I'm a newbie in the sense I haven't had a tank in over ten years. Prior to that I had three tanks all mixed reefs. I am excited to delve back into the hobby! I hope this is the appropriate place to post, maybe my first newbie mistake. Moderators please move this post if needed.

Congrats. Be sure to post some pics in the tank builds section when you start getting it up and running. :beer:

Well I did it, ordered one of SC aquarium's 66 gallon tanks. I'm a newbie in the sense I haven't had a tank in over ten years. Prior to that I had three tanks all mixed reefs. I am excited to delve back into the hobby! I hope this is the appropriate place to post, maybe my first newbie mistake. Moderators please move this post if needed.

whats your plans in regards to corals and fish?

Thanks all! I am very excited. Thelawnwrangler, I have been really focused on the equipment side of things I haven't nailed down what I want livestock wise. It will most likely be a mixed reef. My last two tanks were a 110, and a 180, so I feel a bit restricted by the size and really want to be deliberate about my stocking, unlike oh so many impulse buys in the past. May be some acros, montiporas, Fiji yellow leather (a fav). I may be pressing my luck but I love pygmi angels and have never had them nip corals, (those were also bigger tanks) that said, I would love a potters angel. A blenny, also loves wrasses, but I understand they can be unpredictable aggressive. I'll start a build thread in the appropriate forum and get some opinion on my equipment selections. Thanks for the welcome all.

Gimpyfin, BTW, I love your avatar.

Thanks all! I am very excited. Thelawnwrangler, I have been really focused on the equipment side of things I haven't nailed down what I want livestock wise. It will most likely be a mixed reef. My last two tanks were a 110, and a 180, so I feel a bit restricted by the size and really want to be deliberate about my stocking, unlike oh so many impulse buys in the past. May be some acros, montiporas, Fiji yellow leather (a fav). I may be pressing my luck but I love pygmi angels and have never had them nip corals, (those were also bigger tanks) that said, I would love a potters angel. A blenny, also loves wrasses, but I understand they can be unpredictable aggressive. I'll start a build thread in the appropriate forum and get some opinion on my equipment selections. Thanks for the welcome all.

Gimpyfin, BTW, I love your avatar.

Nice! I personally am a fan of the SC tanks. Did you get the all in one or just the tank stand and sump?

I am excited to see this build progress!

How do you plan on lighting it?

I went with the all in one. I appreciate the skimmer and return pump aren't the highest caliber, but I don't mind upgrading those in the future. This was a compromise for wifey and I. We really wanted the 150, but it would have cost us 40k lol; because, we have some remodeling to do in the area we want the larger tank. The all in one works, some might feel like you could DIY a sump and stand, but I just don't have time for any more projects of that caliber. The all in one was a nice option to get us up and running, plus I think the price is great.

I knew form experience I wanted this tank to look sharp, no more lights held by two-by-fours, supplies stacked around the tank etc. I wanted this to look finished and deliberate which I think this tank and stand does.:thumbsup: I will do a build thread when it arrives, let the fun begin!

How do you plan on lighting it?[/QUOTE]
Sorry, got all verbose and forgot to answer your light question. I'm going to go with an a360 Kessil. I know I am pushing the recommended dimensions for a single light (the tank is 32 inches wide). But as long as it looks well lit, I am ok with some low par areas; plus, the tank is only 20 inches deep. I am always open to feedback.

Congrats! Excited to follow your tank.
I'm new to the forum myself and am reading a lot before starting on my journey in 2017.
Ironically I grew up in Olathe back in the mid 80s ended up in Portland :)

Congrats again!

Hi Nursedude!
Welcome aboard (pardon the pun)!

The Ten Commandments of saltwater fishkeeping:

1. Thou shall take your time setting up and cycling.
2. Thou shall invest in a decent protein skimmer (Reef Octopus works great - the 110 would be nice for a tank your size).
3. THOU SHALL QUARANTINE! AND QUARANTINE, and if in doubt, QUARANTINE SOME MORE!
4. Thou shall invest in a good sump (Eshopps works great).
5. Thou shall invest in good powerheads and lighting (if you want corals). VOR TECHS are great.
" I'm going to go with an a360 Kessil."
- NICE!!! :)
6. Thou shall research compatibility
7. Thou shall NOT OVERSTOCK!!
8. THOU SHALL NOT OVERFEED.
9. THOU SHALL invest in a great reactor and get a phosphate removing medium (Rowa Phos works awesome)!
10. Thou shall get a biopellet reactor!

and last but not least the bonus one:
11. Thou shall have fun and enjoy your hobby!!

Back